Was Brisbane a mistake?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JDP1, 26th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Do you regret buying in Brisbane in the last 5 years?

1. No

69 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. Yes

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've been following Brisbane market since 1975 when my parents bought their first IP. I bought my first in about 1978 (half share a new Coorparoo six-pack unit with my father).

I don't recall Brisbane ever being compared to Sydney (or Melbourne). They have always been more expensive. Back in the 70s people were selling in Sydney and buying two houses in Brisbane.

This would work now too.

But I do recall when Brisbane prices were rising month on month, certainly back in 1977 and again about 2007 (can't recall exactly when). It sits flat, or rising slightly, and then rises fast. At least that's what I've experienced and watched myself.

For me, I was never holding in Brisbane in the hope it would somehow compete with Sydney. It was always to wait for the market to rise in Brisbane.

chindonly, MWI and Sackie like this.
  2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

You were on the money mate ;)

3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

@Gen-Y, so two years have past since your comment an now?

4. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Early days yet. I know I have made the right choice buying another developer block next door on the same street. It is time to sit on it till I get money to develop it or just land bank it till I decide to sell them 2 blocks together to another developer.

MWI likes this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

All those who voted yes to poll. Please send me your addresses and I will arrange my bikie friends to knock on your door in the coming days :)

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  6. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

larrylarry, if you're still around.

Do you still 'not regret' buying? If I had the chance in 2018 in buying but didn't, I would be regretting big time.

luckyone and Patrick Bateman like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My only regret is not buying more. But I did plough more into Sydney so I'm not too regretful.

craigc, luckyone and Patrick Bateman like this.
  8. icic

icic Well-Known Member

There were at least a couple of periods where Brisbane have a higher price than Melbourne in the last 30 years, so it's not unimaginable that Brisbane can one day outpace Melbourne price again under the right conditions. I think most are under no illusion that Brisbane can someday match Sydney's price, but I think price growth for both cities are fairly comparable in the long term and that's what I have based our investment decisions in.

Sackie, Parkzilla and Patrick Bateman like this.
  9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Anything is possible IMHO, if the right metrics align, such as higher population growth, more jobs so more favourable economic conditions, emotions and decision making of people change where they wish to retire to, etc.... who knows.;)

10. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

“Being too far ahead of your time is indistinguishable from being wrong.” So”
    ― Howard Marks,

My point is its important to look at a point in time.

If you bought and sold prior to the increase in price it may have been a mistake.
    If you managed to capitalist on it in the time invested it was a good decision.

Much like shares.

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2021