Warrigal Rd Runcorn Land

Discussion in 'Development' started by Mich, 3rd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mich

Mich Active Member

Ting Lemon Street would be perfect for me because I could walk to the train station to get to work at Wooloongabba but those blocks you talk about were sold a while ago and they wont take the ad down off of realestate.com :(

2. Mich

Mich Active Member

Marg your right its Runcorn not Sunnybank. Not sure why they refer to Warrigal Road as Sunnybank.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I mentioned the distance as previous posts speculated that the land release may bring Runcorn values closer to Sunnybank values.

Warrigal Road runs through both Runcorn and Eight Mile Plains, but the farm is at the Runcorn end, and is quite low-lying though not flood prone.
    Marg

4. Mich

Mich Active Member

Thats right Marg. the farm has never flooded. But they have put flood drains in the plans on BCC anyway. Somewhere advertised Warrigal Road as Sunnybank on the net and I think its becuase Sunnybank is predominently the hot spot for the Chinese cashed up buyers. Value for money is much greater in Runcorn. Its not as desirable for the Chinese market (and if you look ast the demographic status for the area). I plan on visiting Sunnybank every chance I get when I do live there though, they have the most amazing restaurants and it feels like Im on holiday in SE Asia I love it!

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Sorry my wording probably wasn't the best. I guess I was wondering whether newer areas being built around Runcorn would possibly attract some of the Chinese buyers that can't quite afford Sunnybank and thus push prices up. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Eastwood in Sydney but you only need to look at the suburbs and prices surrounding that to see that there is a flow on affect. If someone wants to live within a particular suburb and they can't quite afford they'll probably look at the next closest/best thing. Whether this is Runcorn or not I'm not sure. I'm not as familiar with Brisbane hence the question.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Definitely has happened.

For the "Chinese" ( I use this term very broadly - does not mean mainlanders) the most desirable IMO: Sunnybank, Robertson, Macgregor.

Within Sunnybank, the area north of the railway is preferred. For some reason, the area south of the rail is less loved (I talked to the local investors - they think there is a perception of "noise" being surrounded by rail and major roads)

Next best:
    Eight mile Plains SOUTH of Padstow/Miles Platting (again there is a funny pocket north of Miles Platting and Pacific Mwy which is less popular - maybe due to powerlines and caravan park, but ironically closer to Garden City (biggest "western" shopping centre in area).
    Cooper Plains - often forgotten / ignored
    Runcorn north of Beenleigh (inc Fruitgrove)

Then:
    Sunnybank Hills and rest of Runcorn

Finally:
    The sources on the ground tell me Calamvale and Algester starting to move as people get priced out / want bigger block.

Unpopular (for whatever reason)
    Acacia Ridge (industrial?)
    Stretton (unsure reason)

One way to tell is look at the agencies/agents selling - if the RE.com ad is all in Chinese, you know who it was aimed at ;)

I'm sure some locals will have other views.

The Y-man

Danyool likes this.
  7. Mich

Mich Active Member

Yep I recently asked an local agent for a price I might secure a house for in the area that I was told would be coming on the market very soon and I was told that they had to put it on the Chinese market first to see if they could sell it there first. I can gather that means overseas market? But I wasnt sure- just dismayed and feeling deflated after that.
    I have family living in OZ that are from Asia that have mansions in Robertson, Macgregor and investment properties in Sunnybank. Those areas including Eight Mile Plains are definitely for those with a much higher income bracket than that of my own. Or overseas money!
    I agree SBH near Jackson Road is less desirable than SBH near Gowan Rd. Also north of Runcorn is my personal preference near Warrigal Rd shops opposed to behind Beenleigh road. Gee I'm giving all my secrets out yáll better not be competing with me for my Runcorn offers lol
    And yes.... Garden City is an absolute dream and I can quite happily say that any of these above suburbs have buses that will take you directly there for some retail therapy!!

Big Will likes this.
  8. Mich

Mich Active Member

This will definietly without a doubt lower the prices in Runcorn which is why it may be silly to buy there atm as 242 blocks and a massive townhouse complex is whats been approved by BCC. Hopefully making it more affordable for those not needing to be in the beautiful Asian hotspot that SBH is. Dont forget Market Square is getting a massive reno so its going to be even more amazing dining precinct. If that complex wasnt there I would not have even found Runcorn or anywhere nearby on the map. Southside was always the poor area as I was growing up. I came from the western suburbs around Centenary where it was deemed more pretigious but just goes to show how things can change. PS Centenary is still a lovely area.

9. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Sorry but we are competing but my logic/thoughts were already similar to yours :) However I don't think we are competing in property as my requirements I think are different to yours.

At least we agree on location :)

Mich likes this.
  10. Mich

Mich Active Member

I'm there everyweek and check out every house if you ever want an opinion on a house I'm happy to give!

11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

People use the word Sunnybank to refer to a range of suburbs that you have mentioned. They probably should say 'around Sunnybank' or something.

Coopers Plains would definitely never be included with Sunnybank.

Acacia Ridge is not popular. You're wrong about Stretton - it's more desirable and higher priced than Sunnybank proper.

I've never seen an ad with any Chinese. Plenty of Chinglish ads though.

The Y-man likes this.
  12. Big Will

I have seen a number of houses myself but also have the advantage of my parents live about 10 minutes from Runcorn which is where I grew up. Now down in Melbourne but I was last there about 2 weeks ago and then about 3 months ago.

I have seen countless online ads (I would be scared to work it out) I have seen properties go off and come back on with another agent in that time and failed auctions we most likely have been to a number of houses together but the houses inspected would be about 10 in 6 months (I have a very tight selection criteria) which sounds like you do too :).

13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for some of the shine to rub off onto my place at Algester near SBH.

14. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

I love algester. I think it's a forgotten little suburb

Heinz57 likes this.
  15. Big Will

I don't like Algester, doesn't have the same infrastructure as the other suburbs mentioned on here.

This is why it is a cheaper/forgotten suburb.

16. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

If your going thru a sunny bank real estate do your homework. Myself and others have had massive problems with some there as renters. On the other hand, I know ur not planning to rent out, but if you do, was very impressed with unaccom , Robertson for student/professional rentals. My house mate worked at Griffith uni seven years involved in a Christian group there and found them helpful in finding good places for students to rent., as well as for herself and friends...partially self furnished houses etc

17. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

A friend just reminded me have you thought re the crime rate? Runcorn suburb is pretty dark at night from the places I know round the station http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/nat...ft/news-story/94c204a7d9754c879a2cb09df2795a0. She never walked alone there though she does most parts of Brisbane. I always felt safe living in Robertson but most of my house mates caught taxis instead of public transport home at night. The worst thing we encountered was getting in trouble from neighbours for having parties 6pm on Saturday nights as the neighbourhood was studying, lovely quiet place. I know they've tried to clean up macgregor a lot with lighting, extra police etc at shops at night.

18. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

19. Roger

Roger New Member

2017, by now you may be aware that at the back of Warrigal Farms , on Underwood Rd, BCC lost an appeal against the development application for a super Mosque . Locals are still fighting the approval, and even though there is legally no appeals process left...never say never.The development has started with Bulimba Creek being dammed( partly filled at a narrow point to allow machinery to pass over).IF built , the mosque will eventually see visitors of 5,000 per day , and insufficient parking spaces resulting in cars parked external to the site.The call to prayer via an external P-A system will invade many homes nearby. Warrigal Farms will be its AUDITORIUM.

20. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

I have a house in Levington Estate in EMP that is about 150m from the Mosque on Logan rd. The mosque is great for rental return on that property as the tenants will happily pay a bit more for the convenience of being so close to the mosque.

I'd be really curious to see what these blocks start at. There was a development on the corner of Logan & Underwood road a few years ago and that was full of display homes. Didn't sell for as much as Levington Estate but definitely didn't hurt prices in the area.

I believe a vacant block in Levington estate would probably be worth about $500k now.