Warren Buffett, Down $4.3B In A Day..

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by willair, 4th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

... and I thought I had a bad year in 2018 when my Net Worth plummeted $140K

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was only looking at that this morning ,net worth equities wise is down over 30% ..
    Property wise this year could be the year where Brisbane starts a 3 year upward cycle..

When you look at the numbers below it speaks about the investment market ..
    Quote..
    In the fourth quarter, Berkshire Hathaway is likely to post an unrealized loss on its investments of over $25 billion, putting the conglomerate’s investment portfolio deeply in the red for the year. For 2018, Berkshire is likely to record losses on paper well in excess of $10 billion on a portfolio that opened the year at $170.5 billion in size. That’s due to a 14% plunge in the S&P 500 Index in the fourth quarter, punctuated by the worst December performance in generations. Overall, the S&P posted a 4.38% loss for 2018 when including dividends.

Perthguy and kierank like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Ouch!!!

Our SMSF (Australian shares, international managed funds, cash, ...) is down 6.4% for the 2018 calendar year BUT roughly 4% of that is pension payments ;).

I hope so. I am waiting for the market to boom so that I can reduce our portfolio by about a third (in value) :D.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Buffett down over 4 Billion a day! If his luck runs out he could be the new neighbour in Mt Druitt in less than a month lol.

orangestreet and willair like this.
  6. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Stay the course Warren aka Wazza to his mates.

7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Warren Buffett has just about given up on beating the S&P 500

Buffett says investors would be served just as well buying an S&P fund as his own company’s stock

Nodrog, Burgs and Perthguy like this.
  8. Redwing

The S&P 500 beat Berkshire Hathaway over the past 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15-year periods ending 31st July 2019

Which for a contrarian could mean its a good time to buy Berkshire

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Or it could be a sign that old Warren has lost the touch.

10. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

I have no doubt old warren could still outperform the market ih he had 100million to manage as opposed to 100 billion.

He hasnt lost his touch IMO its just that the scale or BERK now makes it that much more difficult to identify attractively priced opportunities that can positively affect shareholders above the index.

Nodrog likes this.
  11. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

Apparently Berkshire Hathaway has 122 Billion or so in spare cash, thats a lot to have sitting around.

12. Redwing

Warren Buffett's net worth reaches $100 billion

Warren Buffett's fortune reached $100 billion on Wednesday, as investors drove the stock price for his company Berkshire Hathaway Inc to a record level.

Buffett's net worth, as measured by Forbes magazine, comes almost entirely from owning about one-sixth of Berkshire, a roughly $600 billion company.

Berkshire's stock price has surged higher in March, with its Class A shares surpassing $400,000 on Wednesday.

Silverson likes this.