Warrant on appliances in purchased property

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Frosty123, 7th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I recently purchase an IP which had all new appliances.
    The tenants have called advising the dishwasher has failed, and is flooding the kitchen with water during the cleaning cycle.
    The dishwasher is a Bosch, and is likely to still be in warranty...however it was purchased by the previous owner and I clearly don't have any receipts.

Any ideas on how to get around this? Or am I just going to have to repair or pay for a new dishwasher?

Thanks

2. quop

quop Well-Known Member

May be worth contacting Bosch if you can find out the serial number. They should be able to track it to determine some dates that might help, eg. when it was manufactured, when it was imported, when it was sold to the retailer etc, maybe even an actual sale date. This might be enough to confirm the item would still be within warranty.

May also be worth trying to contact previous owner in case they might still have any relevant information. They may also have already registered the appliance for warranty with Bosch.

3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This sounds like an installation issue. I would be checking the pipes to make sure they are connected securely.

Have you tried contacting the previous owner or the shop it was originally purchased from? I had an issue with an air con unit last summer and called the shop I purchased from and they gave me the number to organise a warranty repair so got sorted pretty quickly as a result.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In my IP, this turned out to be due to a broken hose. Simple fix for a plumber.

5. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Amazingly enough, I was able to get the receipt by calling up the store, and requesting an email. All I had to do was provide the owners name, and the model/make/serial.

Sadly enough though...it was out of warranty 4 months ago.

With regards to the issue possibly being a broken hose, I thought the dishwasher simply shut off a valve whilst it wasn't in operation, meaning the hose would be under full water pressure. If that's the case, wouldn't it be leaking all the time?

6. turk

turk Well-Known Member

May simply need the filter cleaned.

7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

My PPOR dishwasher leaked all over the place.. was a bent door cuz a kid sat on it prior to us moving in.