War...What happens to property?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by ej89, 14th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Well during war you usually have an uptick in economic activity as mobilisation takes place, then a period of downturn as the debts start to be paid back and the economy re-adjusts, followed by a large economic boom afterwards.

Wars are usually caused by long periods of low socio-economic growth, which causes the masses to become frustrated and more keen to go on a war-like footing. Roaring 20's post WWI leading to 1929 stock market crash and Great Depression, followed by WWII. The Weimar Republic. Boom in Japan post 1950, etc.

Several recessions in the first part of the 20th century leading to WWI, etc.

In more recent history, Gulf War 1 leading in 1991 leading to recession, followed by high growth until 2000. September 11, 2001 leading to a dip, war in 2003, followed by a boom until 2008.

It is all fascinating if you delve into history and the why.

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2016
    Toon and WattleIdo like this.
  2. Yujin

Yujin Active Member

It was interesting I read that due to the bombardment of Sydney by the Japanese and also submarine attacks during WW2, there was fear of an impending attack. Properties in the Blue Mountains went up in value while the Eastern Suburbs dropped due to fear of attacks.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep. All the waterfront homes going for a song.....

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You sure they were not just underquoting ?

Ted Varrick, Toon and ej89 like this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

And Jewish refugees from Europe were johnny on the spot to grab a lot of eastern suburbs real estate at the time :)

6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

At a guess I'd say that bank shareholders might be in a less than ideal position.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How about steel and manufacturing share holders?

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Buy shares in whoever makes Exocet missiles and other weapons would be my cynical response.

9. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

what now that north korea fired a missile over japan? Aus is definitely in
    North Korea fires missile over Japan in 'unprecedented threat' - BBC News

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

11. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

Interest rates will jump 2% overnight for a start.

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm currently reading a book titled, "Raven Rock: The Story of the US Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself - While the Rest of Us Die".

It's essentially the story of the secret US "Continuation Of Government" program. It started during WWII and continues to this day, outlining how the US Government intended to continue to function through a nuclear war. There's a lot of info on the command and control survivability. They decided very quickly that it simply isn't possible to protect the population, it's about the survival of government including the houses of government, executive and legislative branches. A lot of effort went into command and control planning, as well as succession of leadership (the presidency). In addition to the main government, there was two tiers of shadow government ready as backup. Quite fascinating, a bit scary. I'm just now going through the 9-11 attacks.

For the most part, recovery from a nuclear war was assumed, but not particularly well planned. Eventually this was realised and started to factor into all the elaborate plans.

Taxation eventually came up after all the government would need revenue to pay for a conflict and the subsequent recovery. With it came questions about things like property tax. Some estimates of how real estate values would be affected were briefly discussed in the book, although not a lot of detail was included. Fundamentally it was decided that a nuclear war would see a dramatic fall in real estate values.

Needless to say that I thought at certain points the planning got a little disconnected from the realities of life in such a situation.

ej89 likes this.
  13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

At least it would be easy to find a block to build on? Wait until night and choose the one that glows less....

Brickbybrick, Ed Barton and Archaon like this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If Kim Jong Idiot happens to somehow be left alone, and gets to the point where he nukes Sydney, then it will be too bad so sad for all land holders.

I do not see it as an economic booster, generally :)

15. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Depends on how in demand the land will be as @dabbler put it if they drop a nuke on Sydney and it becomes inhabitable the value of the land would plummet because demand would drop off not only due to population but also no one wants to live there.

If however the rest of the whole world were able to live but only Sydney was the place habitable then the prices would jump but I think there might be civil unrest as we couldn't jam 7 billion people into Sydney.

16. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

What a horrific experience!

ej89 likes this.
  17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Is Sydney within range?

18. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Lol
    Even if it was, it would never be picked as a target.
    The DPRK would blow Japanese cities waaaay before it would even consider an Australian target.

19. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Peter, was this book written by George Orwell?

Because he did a good job with his prior book from 33 years ago...

20. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I doubt it, I'm now in the last chapters dealing with the Obama administration. Quite a good book, well worth the read if you're into these themes.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.