War...What happens to property?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by ej89, 14th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone
    Random question, and unsure what kind of answer I'll get because i'm guessing not many will be experts in this area, but lets say a world war breaks out and Australia is involved, where do we see property markets heading? I ask because there's plenty of tension between Russia and the U.S atm and unfortunately we are U.S puppets.

Is anyone considering the possibility of a war happening when thinking of buying atm?

2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Better hope "we" win or all bets are off.........from the corporate tower to the salt mine! :)

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Oct, 2016
    Ted Varrick and Gingin like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Property of foreign nationalsbecomes property of the State, no exception no compensation.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Your insurance won't cover acts of war. If your house is hit by a bomb you won't get paid. But you will probably be dead so not too bothered.
    Marg

NWHT, Kevvy7, C-mac and 7 others like this.
  5. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, when I was a baby in the middle east.. Certainly right, no insurance payout, but we survived :) haha

Gypsyblood, jimmy, Whitecat and 3 others like this.
  6. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Wait..So e.g. a chinese investor can just get a property taken from them?

7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

and be interred as an enemy alien. wont happen though, the country is overrun with 5th columnists...

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Are you talking about invasion on our soil, or just conventional skirmishes ? elsewhere ?

I think you could safely say there will not be double digit growth as it is going on :) But who knows seeing so many of us are now so PC and so far removed from realities of war.

9. Darren A

Darren A Well-Known Member

10. truong

truong Well-Known Member

Putin isn’t that stupid to go to war against the US. He has no allies apart from Venezuela and a handful of failed regimes.

The US has a strong military but weak public opinion and politicians. Therefore the best strategy against them is not full-on warfare, or even a cold war, but attacks against populations (a la Islamists), guerrilla (a la Vietnam) and guile (a la China).

If one of these 3 strategies is used there will be little short/medium term impact on Aus property.

11. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Who said Putin is the one going to war with the U.S? Russia's on the defensive here.. Their borders have U.S missiles and U.S military parked there... Russia's nuclear power is greater than the U.S but U.S has more troops and weapons.
    In terms of allies, Russia has China, Iran and possibly North Korea..and possibly India.. U.S has NATO and unfortunately Australia.

World war is a chance if the U.S do as they plan and attack the Assad regime directly and Syrian and Russian troops.. The Hillary talk against Russia is a bit scary too..

12. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Our troops and military spending increasing overseas and a war affecting the world and local economy.. I can see infrastructure spending being cut to spend more on military

13. Lsquare64

Lsquare64 Active Member

I don't know what will happen to the property when world war III breaks out but I vividly remember Albert Einstein once said:
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Gypsyblood, WattleIdo and Toon like this.
  14. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

The Syria situation looks like a proxy war between US and its allies vs Russia. If you look beyond mainstream news it seems the US has been on the offensive, Russia is merely defending itself. Wouldn't you if a bunch of your original neighbours mysteriously move out and new ones move in with some missiles for fences?

Here's to hoping cooler heads prevail...no one wins in a nuclear war.

Edit: and to OP's question, I doubt I'd give two hoots about my IPs if WW3 breaks out. Heard Tasmania would be safe place to hide at... :D

Gypsyblood and Whitecat like this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

World economy is pretty much stuffed from what I can see, were all going lower with rates and increasing debt.

Australia not much different, better part of a bad bunch really.

If you look at the world, the economies, who owes what to who & built up tensions all round, war is not far fetched.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That'll send the interweb thingy into a spin if they restrict access to the proxies.

mikey7 likes this.
  17. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

International law would mean in the event of an invasion all laws of the state invaded remain intact... So presumably land rights would remain (obviously, an invasion would probably be by a nation state not to concerns for international law)

If the war broke out between western developed nations the fallout of the engagement might lead to many refugees - population increase could push up prices.

If it's like the first world war and every second guy marches off then I assume rental vacancies would increase.

Foreign capital might dry up leading to a credit squeeze - banks might not be keen on lending. May push prices down. If it's all out war capital might be diverted to the war effort as in previous world wars meaning banks would be lending to munitions factories rather than home buyers.

There might be full employment, meaning more people have more money to spend on housing putting upward pressure on housing.

There is unlikely to be new supply hitting the market as most capital, building resources and labour resources are diverted to the war effort. This might put upward pressure on housing.

Who knows?

I wonder what the property market was doing between 39 - 45

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It is partly an Unknown because prior to the 1950s, the majority of Australians lived in public housing. That is now a thing of the past.

My grandparents have told me a lot about life during the Depression but not so much about during WW2.

19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

That's why my uncle didn't insure his helicopter just before he crashed it and walked away.

Marg4000 likes this.
  20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Too late.

The war has already started. I just read the @Tony Fleming thread.

Jasmine and Toon like this.