WAPC Survey Strata - How much?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Martinez22, 17th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

How much on average does a Survey Strata cost for two separate titles?

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

one lot into two or one lot into two with a common property lot?

You are looking at a form 1A - Application for approval of freehold or survey strata subdivision
    2 lots up to and including 100 lots $2,985 plus $68 per lot

each common property lot is counted as one lot,

So, survey strata subdivision of 1 lot to create 2 lots should be $3,121
    Survey strata subdivision of 1 lot to create 2 lots + 1 common property lot should be $3,189

* I think this is how it works

You can call Department of Planning to confirm.

https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/Guide_to_Subdivision_Applications_and_Fees_June2016.pdf

3. Martinez22

What the hell, my builder is quoting me 15K for the sub-division. It's one lot into 2 titles with common driveway, the bank want some form of approval form WAPC before releasing funds. I was stressed about forking out 15K, who arranged your sub-division? Or did you just apply directly to the WAPC?

4. Perthguy

Apologies, I didn't realise you were going to title. I have only quoted you the WAPC fees for conditional approval.

On top of that you have:-
    - surveyor fees to survey the lot and prepare the survey strata plan (budget $1,800)
    - western power headworks fees (budget $900)
    - water corporation headworks fees (budget $7,000)
    - clearance of conditions (budget ?)
    - preparation of deposited plan (budget ?)
    - lodgement of Form1C (budget ?)

$15k sounds around right to get all that done. Can your builder let you know what is included in the $15k?

5. Martinez22

Oh actually, conditional approval will do ! Thanks so much for clarifying :D do you know how long conditional approval usually takes?

6. Perthguy

It is supposed to take 90 days or less. I don't know how long it actually takes.

@Aaron Sice, @Westminster or @MTR might know. I can't remember who else has done a subdivision.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

$15k is about right if it includes headworks.
    So you have DA and now have to get survey strata done? That is majorly backwards.
    If you had done WAPC first then you'd have 2 lots already and not needed to do DA but just 2 x building permits. Or you can do DA after lodging with WAPC and run them concurrently. I don't think I've ever known anyone to do it DA then WAPC.
    Most people that go DA first then use Built Strata which is titles at the end.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

I am going DA then Strata because of a higher code assessment. Higher code requires DA before subdivision or strata so I guess I could have gone DA then WAPC. That would be forced by illogical scheme requirements though.

Much better to go WAPC then DA as you have pointed out. It's cheaper too. :)

9. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

+ if you do go to titles you can typically refinance and draw the equity out to finance construction :)

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

You should have lodged concurrently if you are confident of approval. The process doesn't have to be linear.

Just keep an eye out for the titles to be issued at plate height clause. Challenge it, because it locks you into a build strata effectively.

theperthurbanist and Perthguy like this.
  11. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

If you apply for Survey-Strata with WAPC and apply for DA at the same time at the council, could WAPC still add this as a condition?
    The way I understand, the titles for survey strata must be issued before the construction can begin.

12. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

I see. I also need the higher code of a dual zoned block. I met the council planner and they said I should lodge the application for higher R code with council at the same time I lodge WAPC application.
    The house plans are still being finalised so they will be sent for DA to council when ready.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

They can, and do, since 2013 and the change to build strata needing to demonstrate minimum land area.

Very challenge-able, though.

Perthguy likes this.