Wanting to Build a Granny Flat in Moreton Bay Region plus extra

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Camoz, 30th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Camoz

Camoz Member

Recently purchased a property that is in rural residential zoning. Looking for recommendations on a full project which will include the following:

* Full concrete down the side of the house as a driveway to the (what will be new shed) as well as to the new granny flat
    * Design and build of a granny flat that is 2 bedroom 2 bathroom preferably on a slab
    * Build and installation of a pool on the side of the property.

I have been researching constantly but finding it hard to essentially find an ALL IN ONE builder.

Any recommendations would be fantastic.

2. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I've used Wesche Industries to do a complete a build of a new home, pool, shed etc. Call Ryan Wesche 0411 870 546. I'm about to finish a subdivision and then get him to build another house for us. They're based at Redland Bay.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Two bathrooms in a two bedroom granny flat might be overkill. It's a very small space as it is.

In NSW it would be worse - we can build a maximum of 60m² here, I believe it's 70m² up there - but my thought would be that it's a better use of space to increase living areas rather than having both bathrooms.

jaybean likes this.
  4. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

It's 60m2 in MBRC.

BEWARE. The council have updated their pages regarding granny flat ruling and we opted not to buy due in the area due to the uncertainty. They are fine but have to be rented solely to one family, not seperate

Blueskies and geoffw like this.
  5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Ah, so it's being brought in line with the BCC. It sucks.

Are you sure the rule doesn't kick in for a while? Maybe you can fast track it and get it grandfathered in.

6. Camoz

Camoz Member

THanks I will indeed.

Sheshop likes this.
  7. Camoz

Camoz Member

Do you know if they can do everything, shed, granny flat, pool, concreting?

8. Sheshop

Yes, they do it all.

9. Camoz

Camoz Member

Have hit them up so hopefully I hear back this week. Thanks for the referral

10. Sheshop

N
    No worries. I know he's on a big house build at Straddie at the moment so I'm not sure what your plan is but he could be tied up for a while over there.

11. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Specifically noted that no grandfathering AND it would apply to all existing. So you can only rent out as one property to one group etc.

12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Oh that's rough. Seriously no grandfathering? That's not fair for people who spent a small fortune building a GF.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Redlands Council says : For some secondary dwellings, you only need to obtain building and plumbing approval, while others may also need a planning approval. So its not unfair if the approval process is followed. And it cant be rented seperate to the main dwelling, shed etc

Dual living - secondary dwelling | Redland City Council

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia