Wanted to Rent - Fixed Price Long Leases on Existing Resi Properties

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by RPI, 25th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Hi All
    Not quite SDA but completely related - SIM please feel free to move.

Short Story
    Need good quality places, initially in SEQ (Toowoomba, to Coolangatta to Noosa) & Bundaberg that NDISP can lease long term.
    Term: Min 3 years, ideally 10 plus 5 plus 5
    Rent: Market plus CPI paid by us regardless of whether we have sub-tenants
    Repairs & Maintenance Paid for by us: - internal walls, doors, appliances, air conditioning, hot water etc. Basically non structural
    Management or other fees:
    10% plus GST (no other fees )
    Other Cost: 2-4 weeks rent free to allow installation and setup
    Types Needed: 2 bedroom units, plus 3 bed town houses, units and houses, 4 2 2 work great.
    When: Continuously over next 3 years, ie if property suits we are happy to wait for vacancy
    Price Point: $500 per week is sweet spot, up to $750 in the right places.

Long Story
    We have a lot of relationships with SIL (Supported providers who have clients who are not SDA eligible and need places to stay.

The NDIS is separating tenancy management from the support, so a registered housing provider is needed in the middle.

We would love some new builds in this space like our SDA ones, but land is tight and we need far too many to deliver that. Also location is often not so good.

We have several SIL providers who we have now finalised a working model with, where NDISP will be the housing provider, NDISP Leasing will be the head lessee and we will rent to tenants and SIL's provide the care.

The properties can be houses, units or town houses. 2 Bedrooms is the minimum.

We need 300-500 properties over the next 3 years.

We need nicely renovated or newer properties, we are not slum lords. People need to be proud to call our places home.

Benefits for owners are:
    1. No vacancy (apart from the initial 2-4 weeks)
    2. No arrears (NDISP is one of the largest SDA providers in the country)
    3. Less Accounting (we can pay your rates, water, insurance, mortgage etc all from the rent monies we receive in trust account)
    4. Well maintained, we have professional cleaners and gardeners look after the place
    5. No non-structural repairs.

Things that are different
    1. We need to be able to install automation ,access control, ceiling rails and hoists in some instances. We might need to also make some doorways wider or do some other minor work. If this is required you can't unreasonably withhold your consent
    2. You can't know the names of sub tenants etc for privacy reasons

2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Have you considered building your own building and leasing the land .
    Say 21yr lease that can be renewed in perpetually?
    So you would hold the leasehold ie be the lessee

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I get more than $6k a week for my little SDA unit blocks unit blocks. Or if I wanted to build houses I'd get more than $2k a week. We build 15 SDA places a month now, more than 30 a month after the Christmas break.

So even if I could find a funder who'd lend me a hundred percent for these I'd still do SDA.

punti likes this.