Want no atm or online bank account

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by ClownsEatMe, 12th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ClownsEatMe

ClownsEatMe Member

I want a bank account with no atm, online or phone access, only in person in branch access but without the old fashioned passbook. I believe Bendigo has something along the lines, but any other suggestions?

2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Why?

Perp, The Y-man, qak and 1 other person like this.
  3. ClownsEatMe

ClownsEatMe Member

In short to all but foolproof myself against identity fraud and limit the potential for coercive relinquishment of funds. I have good reason for taking these measures after recent events.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If that's the case, then better education on internet security, spotting a phising attempt, frequently changing passwords/use a password generator/2 step authentication and the like would be more beneficial.

Perp likes this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Once or twice a year I go to a Bendigo bank branch, I don't have a card, I show my license and answer a few simple questions and voila they hand me my money, so it is possible.
    They did send me a plastic card years ago, but I never validated it :oops:

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Were these recent events by a person known to you?

EDIT: CBA still has a passbook account. They sent out cards on these accounts but you could cut it up.

Last edited: 13th May, 2021
  7. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

8. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Unless you go through an ID check every transaction not much use. And do the staff really care anyway? Producing offline fakes is easier than ever these day.

I did have 3 loan accounts for many years with no online banking. All that went there was loan payments. I did get an online user id after thay were paid out, just to keep the acct open in case needed.

9. ClownsEatMe

ClownsEatMe Member

Better education on domestic violence and the unfathomable until you've experienced it extent you can be beaten into submission by someone who was once your best friend and is now a sadistic manipulator out to control every aspect of your life, until you're imprisoned, locked out of every account, every phone number destroyed but that doesn't matter because you're locked out of your phone too and every last silver coin has been scratched out of existence so you cant use the payphone. And so on. They are now in prison but I am worried about associated parties or if he is able to charm his way out on next bail hearing despite the demented violent nature of the crime.

10. ClownsEatMe

ClownsEatMe Member

This is a great idea for personal items such as ID and jewellery. I was leaving those with people to hold on for me, but then when I needed to a make a quick escape I couldn't get in contact with person holding my ID so plan backfired. This would have been a much better option.

But I need a bank account as well as I am soon releasing equity and afraid of him or one of his shady pals robbing me of it.

11. ClownsEatMe

ClownsEatMe Member

This is the account I mentioned earlier as being close as possible to what I'm after. My only problem is with Bendigo bank itself - bank itself is lovely but I previously held an account there and I want to sever all ties to former accounts.

12. ClownsEatMe

ClownsEatMe Member

I want to walk in, show ID. Only the ballsiest conartists will go into a branch in person to show a fake ID and only for large amounts usually and in the case of my former unfortunate incidents, he would not have been able to pass for a woman nor be able to use violent force to make me transfer funds when he wasn't up to arsing around with online accounts. Beating me in a branch until I handed over every last dollar would not have worked so smoothly.

13. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Hi @ClownsEatMe one bank I know has a savings technique they call hide and seek. ANZ allow you to block ATM withdrawals from savings accounts and you can ask them to add extra steps for withdrawals - things like you have to ring them first or go into a branch. Would this be something that would help you? Other banks might have something similar.

Perp and qak like this.
  14. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Bank interest rates are low. Write yourself a bank cheque and put in a deposit box?

15. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Is a joint account with a both to sign authority an option? Obviously you need a trusted person.
    Trust account at solicitor or accountant?
    Depends how frequent access you need. Interest is a pittance these days so non-interest bearing accounts are less unattractive.

Perp likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@ClownsEatMe - sorry to hear those are the circumstances, my suggestions would suit fraudulent use but not DV.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@ClownsEatMe I too just don't know what to say after reading just a tiny portion of what you have been through.

I'm sure I'm not alone in not knowing what to say, but it seems awful not to acknowledge your posts in some way and wish you all the best.

craigc, Perp and Bunbury like this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I have no advice to give, but I really hope that life turns around for you @ClownsEatMe .

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Online apps allow cards to be blocked on and off. Linking a account to something like Google / Apple Pay means your phone IS your banking and that can be fingerprint, face etc locked. If you login under duress it will clear the data after 3 tries. You can block / unblock through banking on top.

Banks do "ID" that way as its it too prone to fraud. Signatures are prone to fraud. Paperwork of any form is prone to fraud.

20. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I echo these thoughts very much. Hoping you can stay safe @ClownsEatMe .

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.