Wanneroo Council - Approval

Discussion in 'Development' started by Martinez22, 27th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Has anyone received council approval for their development in Wanneroo yet? If so, how long did the process take from lodgement to approval?

2. Martinez22

Anyonee?? :(

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What sort of development is it?

4. Martinez22

Build strata for house behind house

5. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

What sort of 'approval' is it? The actual built strata subdivision? Or the DA?

6. Martinez22

built strata subdivision (would be good know about DA too)

Just want to know a time frame as we have conditional approval subject to this..

7. theperthurbanist

I'm not sure about built strata subdivision, but simple DA's are getting turned around pretty quickly in Wanneroo atm. A colleague had a simple group dwelling DA approved in under three weeks a month or two ago.

No telling how Christmas will affect things though.

In terms of the strata, you can always just ask them. Most officers are pretty up-front with how they quickly they are turning around average approvals..

8. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

We had a DA approval about 18 months ago. It took ages.

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

This is confusing. Are you saying you have an Approval to Commence Development that is conditional on a Built Strata subdivision being approved?

A built strata (Strata Plan) refers to a strata plan for existing dwellings. As far as I know, the application would be lodged on a Form 24 and determined by Council.

If one of the lots is going to be vacant (you are creating the lot to build on), as far as I know, that would be a Vacant Lot Strata (still a Form 24) but it would be determined by the WAPC.

Although, this Planning Bulletin from the WAPC appears to contradict my understanding:

The term ‘built strata’ refers to a strata plan for existing dwellings or buildings (or a building which is proposed to be constructed) and where there are no vacant lots.
    https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/Planning_Bulletin_52_2009.pdf

I do not know what it means when it says "a building which is proposed to be constructed".

Either way, the application should be determined within 40 days for a Built Strata and within 90 days for a Vacant Strata.

10. Martinez22

Whats the difference? We are building a 'house/unit' at the back of our existing home. The builder told us to go for a build strata, if we applied for survey strata we would have to demolish the front house in 3 years which we didn't want to do

11. Martinez22

Hmm yes confusing..well there will be no vacant lots by the end of the project so I am assuming its build strata. So conditional finance approval subject to council approving this. Ideally would like to get it approved before the conditional approval with the bank expires

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

I see. That clarifies your situation. Council should only take 40 days max for a built strata but I would call the planning department of the Council and ask how their approval timeframes are tracking.

13. Martinez22

Awesome ! thanks :D

14. theperthurbanist

Sounds to me like the approval you are after is the DA for the construction of the dwelling? Which would then be followed by built strata plan 'approval' as @Perthguy mentions. Is that right (ie is it building plans that you are seeking approval for)? If that is the case then as mentioned it can be as little as a few weeks, however the statutory timeframe is 60 days (90 days if it requires advertising).

Once the building is constructed the built strata subdivision application sounds like it will take up to 40 days from what @Perthguy says (I actually have my own built strata in with Council atm but shamefully I cant tell you what the assessment timeframe is!).

Hopefully we are making this more clear -not more confusing- for you @Martinez22 !

Martinez22 and Perthguy like this.
  15. theperthurbanist

:eek:

16. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Why?

If you're looking for the 'no minimum area, only average area' for buildstrata loophole, then that closed in 2013.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Perthguy

That advice is not correct.

Aaron Sice likes this.
  18. UrbanPlanner

UrbanPlanner Well-Known Member

there's nothing stopping you doing survey strata with existing buildings as long as you comply with the minimum/average lot area requirements of the R-Codes. Gets done all the time! And it can be done concurrently with the DA approval and construction so long as the boundaries on the survey-strata subdivision match the DA

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

quoted for truth.

there's no real difference between a build and survey strata as far as Class 1 construction is concerned, anyway.

all have to meet minimum and average areas now.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

(Thanks Dale Alcock)
    Built Strata Vs Survey Strata
    There are two different ways of subdividing a block, depending on what you plan to do with it. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Built Strata - A Building Strata can be the easiest way to subdivide your block. Although it relies on having the buildings completed first – including landscaping, fencing, letterboxes and crossovers – it can also be the cheapest way to subdivide in terms of surveying costs. It’s important, however, to weigh this up against the need to complete the entire development before titles can be issued.

Survey Strata -This subdivision process was introduced to allow the creation of vacant strata lots. No buildings need to be shown on your plan if you are developing only vacant lots. The Survey Strata process does, however, permit a combination of vacant lots and buildings, old or new. Once titles have been issued and the new blocks have been built on, any changes to the properties can be done without the consent of other strata lot owners.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.