Wall removal - 1970s apartment block

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Toby, 19th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Looking at a few walk up blocks in Melbourne and it seems that everyone back in the day loved segregated living. It is a shame because the kitchen is always so closed off from living areas.

The walls all tend to be concrete load bearing, has anyone ever gone through the exercise of removing one or got a wall removal quoted? And if so how much did it cost to remove?

Cheers
    Toby

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I've removed 2 non load bearing walls in different apartments, which was determined by a structural engineer who wrote a letter for me to supply to the strata for approval. The walls were brick and relatively straightforward to demo and remove.

If it is load bearing, then the engineer should be able to come up with a solution around putting in a beam etc. Has anyone else in the building removed a similar wall?

Toby likes this.
  3. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

@Meristone

Thanks! I have check out the other units in the block that have recently been listed and none of them have removed the wall - I guess it doesn’t necessarily mean it would be load bearing but not exactly a great sign.

4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Maybe they just haven't tried. If you're friendly with someone who's been on the executive committee for a while, ask them if they know of anyone thats tried. Or look through the history of meeting minutes/correspondence.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia