Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Wall mounted desk: finished project

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dmo, 16th Feb, 2016.

1. dmo

dmo Active Member

Spent a bit of time crafting the right idea for the study/spare bedroom in my PPOR and decided to go with a wall-mounted desk under the window. I'm a web designer, and there are two of us here, my parter is a teacher and she's got a ton of sh*t that's being brought home, so needed to give her space to work as well that wasn't the coffee table.

The width of the room is about 306cm. I was aiming to go on the slightly less expensive end of the spectrum so went for a 300cm desk top length rather than deal with templating to the nth degree to make sure it was flush with the not-so-90°-walls.

Because it was a wall-mounted desk and I'm the kind of person who leans on the desk a bit when working, I needed strong brackets that I wouldn't bang my knee on. I ended up purchasing 2 pairs (4 total) of these Heavy Duty Steel Shelf Brackets from Rockler. They are a pretty nifty product, happy with these and how easy they were to install.

Anyway, attached is a photo of the finished product. Pretty chuffed over all. Any questions let me know.

For the rest of the room, it's white trim with Taubmans Stormy Shadow. Next i'll add a sideboard, or small bookcase to the wall to the right of the picture, facing the desk. And possibly some slim/small drawers in the middle between the two work spaces.

Attached Files:

chindonly and Propagate like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks great. Nice dog too :)

dmo and Magnet like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

The dog is clearly a guard dog purchased specifically for the purpose of protecting tools of trade and therefore dog food etc would likely be tax deductible* :p:p
    *seek professional advice before relying on this* o_O

EN710, dmo and Magnet like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Looks neat!
    How deep is the bench and those brackets? They look strong and better than the standard crappy looking ones

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

nice work and a good looking dog! My wife did something similar in the past, a small foldable desk...yes pretty ashamed that I'm not as handy as her.

dmo and Johnny Cashflow like this.
  6. dmo

dmo Active Member

Hey bob, desk top itself is 75 cm deep but runs about 2-3cm under the window sill, and the brackets are 12" x 18" (~30 x 45cm) with the longer edge running along the table top. So they extend out over half way in the depth.

I've attached a photo of the underside.

Attached Files:

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

Looks good - having a functional workspace is just the best. I've recently overhauled mine too, and I just love it. It's so much easier to be organised.

8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Nice one dmo. Where did you get the benchtop from, and how much did it cost?
    Thinking of something similar in our study.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Good strong neat brackets!