Health & Family Waist-to-height ratio better than BMI

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 10th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

From ScienceDaily - Waist-to-height ratio more accurate than BMI in identifying obesity, new study shows

Calculating a person's waist-to-height ratio is the most accurate and efficient way of identifying whether or not they are at risk of obesity in clinical practice, a new study by Leeds Beckett University shows.

The research, published in the latest edition of PLOS ONE journal, aimed to improve the way that obesity is currently measured and classified by examining the whole-body fat percentage and visceral adipose tissue (VAT) mass (the fat stored around the abdominal region where most of internal organs lie) of a group of 81 adults (40 women and 41 men). It aimed to find the most accurate way of predicting this measurement in a clinical environment and set cut-points for obesity.

The researchers, led by Dr Michelle Swainson, Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology in the Carnegie School of Sport at Leeds Beckett, found that 36.5% more adults would be classified as obese using whole-body fat data (one in two participants) rather than body mass index (BMI) (around one in seven participants, or 13.5%).

read more ...​

From DietDoctor - Why the Simple Waist-To-Height Ratio Is a Powerful Health Measurement - Diet Doctor

Recommendations and examples:

[​IMG]

Before I started eating LCHF, I was at 0.7796 ... at my best I was 0.6237 ... currently I am around 0.6559.

My goal of being under 100cm waist would put me at 0.5376

According to this simple measure, my ideal waist measurement should be 93cm (based on height of 186cm).

Curious to know how other people fit into this approach ... @pinkboy ... @Ace in the Hole ... you guys are both pretty fit - would you be interested in sharing your waist-to-height ratio for comparison? Anyone else?

Greyghost and EN710 like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree waist is a much more accurate measure but I am finding it very difficult to get consistent waist readings when self measuring. Any tips to get a consistent reading? I don't mind sharing my ratio if I can calculate it. It will be over 0.5. Definitely in the increased risk zone.

When I lost a lot of weight my waist did not decrease enough. When I switched to eating nutritious food, my weight stayed the same but my waist did decrease. My ideal would be 90kg with a 90cm waist at 187cm tall.

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Define where my waist is please. Depends on where it is I'm either female college swimmer or borderline risk BMI 25 o_O

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I am 0.416 (80cm waist, 192cm tall)

Simon Hampel likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

It's much easier when you've got a really big waist - you just measure around the bit that sticks out the most. :p

Seriously though - the DietDoctor article had instructions: Why the Simple Waist-To-Height Ratio Is a Powerful Health Measurement - Diet Doctor

[​IMG]

Perthguy likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Simon you need to start healthy lifestyle section.... LOL

Seriously good info and great to learn about this stuff, a change from property

7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I'm at 0.44 ratio.
    80cm waist at 183cm tall.
    Currently 79kg.

I would not have a problem if my waist measurement increased, as long as my muscle mass weight increases proportionately.
    My main priority right now is power to weight ratio.

MTR, Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If a woman doesn't know where her waist is, that might be a sign...

In slim women, it's the bit that curves inwards above the hips.

Waist measurement | The Heart Foundation

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2017
    MTR likes this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

based on definition above, it's 70cm, based on the image from Simon (widest part, middle of tummy) it's 82

10. Perthguy

Thanks Simon. I did that and got 106cm, which seems like a lot! I will read the instructions carefully and practice a few more times. But if that is right and 94cm is the danger zone, I have a lot of work to drop 12cm.

11. Simon Hampel

The first few times I did it, I measured in front of a mirror so I could see what I was doing - the main thing is to make sure the tape measure is horizontal all the way around. I typically measure around my belly button since that seems to be the fattest part of my belly.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

I'm at 0.515, 101cm waist at 194cm tall, currently 105kg.

I should be able to get to 97cm waist to achieve the 0.5 ratio - I've got plenty of 36L jeans in the wardrobe that are a little tight for some reason....

Simon Hampel likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Just to add to this - I must say that I don't find much correlation between waist size and pants sizes that I wear. The way I measure things now, I'm 122cm around the waist (relaxing the core muscles to let it all hang out), but the jeans I'm wearing now are 102cm waist (size 40). They're a little on the tight side at the moment - felt much more comfortable when I was down around 116cm waist.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

I can confirm that experience. Despite n00b inaccuracy, I know my waist is over 100cm but my 94cm jeans are not that tight. But then I do tend to wear my jeans closer to my hips, not around my belly button! :eek:

15. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Pants are about 3 inches bigger than stated size ("Vanity sizing"), plus worn a bit bellow waist which accounts for the rest of difference (in my case 37 waist = 33 pants, used to be 40 waist = 36 pants)