WA - West Leederville 6007, 3 unit development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Skuttles, 4th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Update - all issues identified with lower slab and lower brickwork were rectified.
    Last Friday the upper slab was poured...zero issues this time :)

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Skuttles

Progress update - upper brickwork/framing/roof cover completed and inspected. Inspection results were relatively good, only some minor quality issues.

I made a bad assumption that anticon (or similar) would be included under the colourbond roofing as standard, checked the contract and nothing there. Reason I made the error of assuming was my previous two builds (one with a very cheap volume builder) both included anticon and roof batts as standard, neither contract mentioned the anticon.

Should I be concerned? The roof will have R4.0 batts. It just looks so odd to me having the sheets screwed directly onto the wood battens.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Skuttles

Image attached.

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Thats Gold. Great thread @Skuttles ;)

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

i would always insist on anticon, it really does make a significant difference. not sure how much it would cost to remove the sheets and put it on but now would be the time to do it cos scaffolding etc all there.

if youre using the builder i think you are this will not be the first "surprise"{\

Littlemiss likes this.
  6. sanj

could consider using a product like foilboard instead, might cost more /sqm than anticon but does not need roof sheet removal. good product.

7. Skuttles

Totally agree @sanj , having anticon is a no brainer for me, if I knew it wasn't considered standard I would have ticked it as an option/upgrade.
    Will check out foilboard type products. I guess whirlybrids are another option I could do post handover.

8. sanj

Ultimately one main appeal of anticon is to minimise heat getting into roofspace in the first place so that batts themselves dont end up hot and struggle and foilboard will do this

Its pretty high rated and light and easy to install so id definitely consider it. Whirly
    Birds or eave vents should be used anyway to also help with winter condensation but i wouldnt consider it to be sufficient in place of insulation

Skuttles likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I like anticon. Do you have the copy of your BERS assessment? If it was stipulated in there then you have a right to it.

Skuttles likes this.
  10. Skuttles

Has been a long time since my last update, but to be honest most of the progress has been standard construction issues and milestones. Most all my energy throughout the build though has gone into trying to keep the builder focused on delivering the project. My dealings with the builder over the last 6-9 months has been a journey to say the least, it was almost like they were trying to tick off a list of every bad builder stereotype that exists!

But the three units are now completed (barring a few small remaining items) and are available for rent, plan has always been to hold them long term. I was going to put some photos up but looking through my phone I realise I dont really have any presentable ones, just plenty of unfinished items, gaps and faults that were to be fixed. The units aren't too hard to find online.

End values are obviously not the same as when I started the project due to falling values across WA, estimates received back are down approximately 10%. This, along with an increase of approximately 10% in construction & holding costs from my initial estimates has impacted the final figures of the project. All in I would be looking at an approx. 7.5% return if I was to sell, not including tax. Note that this return is over a 2.5 year period.

So while that figure clearly doesn’t match my intentions going in, I am pleased at achieving at least some potential return given the recent WA market conditions, it could easily have gone into negative territory.

Overall I’m satisfied with the final product and still think the location will be a desirable one in the long term. During the project I have learnt a lot, plus have aged a lot, but am definitely now much wiser in the process. Even though I didn’t have to contribute much cash upfront into the project, being ‘handcuffed’ into making those large interest payments each month for over two years was trying at times (we were under resi finance). And while this project hasn’t immediately catapulted me onto my next one, will continue to keep looking for the next opportunity, probably will be in a position to pull the trigger again in another 12 months time.

Aaron Sice, MTR, thatbum and 5 others like this.
  11. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Good work skuttles. Failure is to give up so we are glad you kept pushing on. Those lessons learnt are invaulable and should make you more prepared and more resiliant for the next development.

Skuttles likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Patience, persistence, practicality and project management. The 4 Ps of developing. Along with partially thinning hair, premature aging, pitiful bank balances and the power of optimism.
    Congrats on reaching the end. I hope they rent out easily and you can take a breather for a little while.

Ardi, Skuttles and Sackie like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia