WA Quiet House A - Builder Requirements

Discussion in 'Development' started by Carter007, 26th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carter007

Carter007 Active Member

Hello,

I am undertaking my first development within 110m of the freeway (in Duncraig).

Has anyone had any experience with the Road and Rail Noise Guidelines SPP 5-4 Requirements, and in particular the additional construction costs associated with applying the Quiet House A requirements to a triplex construction? The Council will approve my DA if we apply Quiet House A package.

I would like to understand if there is value going back to an acoustic assessment of the site ($2-3k), or just applying the package requirements.

The requirements are:

WALLS - no issue, going double brick

EXTERNAL DOORS - Rw+Ctr 25dB, e.g.
    • 35mm solid core timber hinged door and frame system certified to Rw 28dB including seals
    • Glazed sliding door with 10mm glass and weather seals

WINDOWS -
    Bedrooms:
    • Sliding or double hung with minimum 10mm single or 6mm-12mm-10mm double insulated glazing (Rw+Ctr 28 dB). Sealed awning or casement windows may use 6 mm glazing instead.

Indoor living and work areas:
    • Up to 40% floor area: Sliding, awning, casement or double hung with minimum 6mm single pane or 6mm-12mm-6mm double insulated glazing (Rw+Ctr 25dB).

ROOF AND CEILING:
    To Rw+Ctr 35dB
    • Concrete or terracotta tile or metal sheet roof with sarking and at least 10mm plasterboard ceiling

If anyone has gone through this and understands the cost impact per villa/house, please share.

Thank you.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Does that part of the freeway have noise walls or anything like that?
    It's a tough call. I would expect that a noise wall + houses in between might ameliorate a lot of the noise but that's probably why they have designated Quiet House A and not something higher. You could end up spending the money on an acoustic report and find out that it's still A and you could have used that money towards meeting the house A requirements.
    Is there anyone else nearby doing a development? Might be time to go do some stalking and see if you can find out if they did a report vs going with the council stipulated House A
    Now is the time to decide 'do I really need all those windows" . Get rid of any windows that are decorative and serve little purpose. It might be cheaper to change the sliding ones to awning so that you can get laminated thicker 6mm glass instead of the 10mm stuff.

Carter007 likes this.
  3. Carter007

Carter007 Active Member

Thanks Westminster,
    I am leaning that way to be honest.
    No freeway noise walls there unfortunately but a big mound covered in trees. I expect an assessment will likely result in similar DB (risk it could be higher), but may offer some lower requirements for the 2nd and thrid house that are further away from the freeway.
    Its a tough one.
    Feel like just applying the House A and being done with it. Can use that also in marketing of the finished product perhaps.

4. Angad Singh

Angad Singh Well-Known Member

Hey @Carter007,

I actually think you may not have any requirements at all if you have a quick look at the implementation guidelines for acoustics. (although you may choose to for your own reasons).

There is actually a provision to apply a 4db reduction in most cases where there is no direct line of sight to the noise source. Recently, I had one of our projects quoted which would have cost around ~$40k in upgrades, yet when I reviewed the policy closely it turns out we didn't require any of it.

NOTE: Councils are usually not aware of this reduction as this policy is poorly understood, and this reduction is only described in the Implementation Guidelines (not the actual policy). Plus, they do not see it as their role to bring it to your attention.

Below is the table from the SPP 5.4 Implementation Guidelines. My guess is you will likely have about 6 lanes in that area, and so your forecast noise is about 59DB, which requires Quite a house package A (as requested by the Council).
    upload_2022-3-28_10-32-46.png

HOWEVER, there is a once-off reduction applicable as pre-Cl 3.3.1 in the implementation guidelines. See below.

upload_2022-3-28_10-36-22.png

When you apply this, my gut feel is you will actually only be a 55DB, where there are no requirements.

This has saved me and my client tonnes of $$$ and NO onsite testing is required:) Hopefully, it can save you some money too:)

Here is a link to the full policy:
    https://www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2021-09/Final-SPP-5.4-Guidelines.pdf

Best,
    Angad

5. Carter007

Carter007 Active Member

Thanks Angard,
    We had thought of that.
    Its actually 108m, so 60dB and then reduced to 56dB.
    Still House A applies.