WA WA or Tasmania?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Devvvy, 2nd Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Live in WA or Tasmania

1. Tasmania

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. WA

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  1. Devvvy

Devvvy Well-Known Member

Live in WA or Tasmania ?

Economy
    Real estate
    Culture
    Jobs
    People
    climate
    Lifestyle
    Cost of living

Sunnycoast likes this.
  2. Sunnycoast

Sunnycoast Well-Known Member

I've been considering a move to TAS lately. Milder climate, not too busy, good lifestyle if you're into hiking, mountain biking etc.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Milder than the sunshine coast ? Milder than...Macquarie Island perhaps

4. HiEquity

HiEquity Well-Known Member

We've lived in both. Really depends on what you're into.

Surfing / water sports / warm weather pursuits / wide open, windy spaces = Perth

Forests / mountains / rivers / fresh water / rain / snow = Tassie

A problem with Tas is the short days in winter. Go to work in the dark and come home in the dark - that can be very challenging for some. But then, when it's cold, you can always put more layers on. A rain coat in the rain, although . When it's hot in Perth, you have to hide out in the air conditioning. Can't spend all day at the beach...

If it wasn't for our family being in Perth, I would have preferred to stay in Hobart... because I love that type of homesteading lifestyle. By the way, the health and education systems are better in Perth - more options. That goes for most services.

Propin and BuyersAgent like this.
  5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Great summary!

Does all of Tasmanian schools have three school terms instead of 4?

I had some friends from Brisbane, they were around 40 with two kids pre school age. My friend’s hubby badly wanted to move to Tassie. Rest of family went along with it. He moved first. He got up for work at 4.30-5.00am a couple of times. After a few days he rang the family begging to cancel the move, it was too dark and cold for him.

Another Brisbane friend retired a few years ago, late 50’s. Her hubby has an office job and begged her to move to Tassie for a couple of years and rent their house. She’s about 18 months into it and travels back to Bris in winter to see her grandkids. She’s loving it!

Where are you from? The first thing I noticed moving to Perth is that it has 4 seasons. I had to buy in between clothes after coming from Brisbane. It’s not just hot or cold, sometimes you need clothes in between.

From a financial point of view, Tasmania is likely at peak prices, Perth is low to not quite middle of cycle depending where you buy.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I've lived in both, and I LOVE Tassie but...

Tassie is freaking freezing.

Live as close to the beach as you can in WA. It's not as pretty, but you'll be happier.

7. AnasWestie

AnasWestie Well-Known Member

I cannot advice on Tassie, but I moved from Syd to Perth and I love Perth, the lifestyle, beaches, space, bigger and better houses, decent infrastructure, affordable houses, warm weather and just very very family friendly city. It is also very multicultural city, I did not think it would but I was surprised, most of the food I was accustomed to enjoy in Sydney I can readily find it in Perth, I struggled a bit when I was in Brisbane.

I lived in Brisbane too, I would not trade Perth for Brisbane.

Nando Lee likes this.