WA: Moridog's granny flat

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Westminster, 11th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I went and saw @moridog's new granny flat the other day, she's still painting and she asked me to put up some photos as she doesn't have a smart phone.

As you drive down the street, it fits in perfectly. It's side by side to the main house and looks just like a modern workers cottage.

Moridog started the thread in Somersoft http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102459

Front of the Granny Flat (this is no granny flat)
    [​IMG]

The hallway
    [​IMG]

The kitchen
    [​IMG]

The recycled brick wall in the living area with recycled windows
    [​IMG]

Bedroom 2 (sorry didn't get one of Bedroom 1)
    [​IMG]

Bathroom/Laundry
    [​IMG]

Perthguy, thatbum and bob shovel like this.
  2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Wow, lovely!

I don't think I read the SS thread - off to check out the history now.

3. Vicki S

Vicki S Well-Known Member

Sensational

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Woah, looks great! Much nicer than the scabby ones I build hahaha.

5. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

That looks great it blends in really well. Seems almost an insult to call it a granny flat haha. Do you have any plans moridog I'm always interested to see what builders can squeeze into 70m2

6. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Do you have any more details besides what is on somersoft? floor plans, price, location

7. Westminster

I'll let @moridog answer but I know it quite well as I helped her do prestart.

From recollection it was around $150k.

It cost more than a standard gf as there was a heritage type overlay as its in Guilford so it had to match/blend in with surroundings so needed to be red bricks, high ceilings etc

The ceilings are 32 or maybe more courses. It is very much a workers style cottage with central hallway, bedroom either side at the front the bathroom and kitchen on the left side and living on the right.

8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Westminster for all of the advice, patience, prestart help (it took hours) and for coming to see my granny flat and posting these photos!!!!!!! I have the plans in my records, I am happy to post them if I can figure out how. Or mail a copy to anyone who would like them, I dunno if that is breaching any copyright? I doubt it coz it was as I wanted, with help from Westminster so it is not the builders own design. It is the maximum 70 sqm allowed, plus a front verandah. The final cost is probably 165, it is 32 courses and just looks terrific. There is one built not far away which rents for 380 a week, mine, of course, is much better LOL. My friend moved in three days ago and is loving it.

9. MethodMan81

MethodMan81 Active Member

Looks great, can I ask the maximum 70 sqm, was that overall or just internal with it being in double brick?

10. Westminster

I think in WA it's measured to outer wall but the 70sqm limit doesn't include verandas, alfrescos, garages, storeroom so you can quite easily get over 100sqm if you have those too

MethodMan81 likes this.
  11. MethodMan81

MethodMan81 Active Member

If the granny flat only had one bedroom would it be able to be subdived as a single bedroom dwelling?

12. Westminster

Only if the it has enough land to meet 2/3rd minimum size block for the single bedroom dwelling and then a full size block for the other. From recollection the block is a very low zoning like R10 or R15 so it would need to be massive to do a normal block plus SBD.

MethodMan81 likes this.
  13. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Nice job - looks great and fits into the street nicely. Will look awesome with the front fence painted and landscaped.
    Interesting how this is called a granny flat in Australia - is huge compared to housing in a lot of other countries :)

14. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

It certainly is large but now that our average Australian home has swelled to 250m2 it seems relatively small.