WA house sale - window locks need to be working?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by goponcho, 24th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Hi guys,

Selling our home and have a question.
    The windows are 70s style with 3 windows on top of each other with a small latch for each. The previous owners have whacked one big security screen on top of all three, with access only to the bottom latch and thus open/close the bottom window.
    The other two latches are functional (i think), but we just cant access them to open/close.

The windows are arranged like this all throughout the house.

Question:
    If i sell this house, do i need a clause to say these windows are sold as is?
    Or is this not necessary because when they purchase the property this is clearly the state that they are in?

Hope that makes sense - i could draw a pretty picture alternatively!

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

In WA it's as is - it might come up in B&P but you don't need to fix them if you don't want too.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Most contacts I’ve seen have a clause saying that the buyer accepts the property in its current state and condition.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Check with your conveyancing solicitor, but I suspect it might be useful to either put something in the sale contract, or at least disclose the lack of functionality in some way.

hobartchic likes this.
  5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Disclosure prior to sale beats problems later. I'd check with a lawyer as to the legality of the window set up. Or just fix all the windows before going to sale, which is probably easier all round, cheaper than you think and will help sell.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry. For many, the security screen will be a bonus and they won’t care about being unable to open the two upper windows. If they want to, let them sort it out after purchase!

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I was going to add that giving people a reason to not buy is not smart. It can be the smallest thing that can break a deal. A well presented product (house) that works well, always gives a sales person an edge.

8. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

thanks guys for the feedback, will check with my conveyancer. Might leave them alone for now as i dont think people will want to use the extra windows, just wanted to see my responsibility as a seller.