WA health requirements - septics

Discussion in 'Development' started by MRO, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I have a 4000m lot in the outer metro area of Perth (Mundaring Shire) with R5 zoning that I am trying to subdivide. The existing house is very close to the proposed boundary line and to make it work i would like to make one lot 2100m and the other 1900m and i understand that WAPC will allow the 5% reduction under the R5 zoning.

The problem i am worried about is the WA Health Departments requirements regarding septic tanks. They usually apply a strict rule of minimum 2000m lots (there is no retic sewerage in the area and all houses use septic tanks)

Has anyone had experience in getting approval from WA Health for lots marginally less than 2000m?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I did one in Kelmscott Hills recently with an ATU which was just shy of 1000sqm. Not sure if that is helpful or not :)

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

In its consideration of applications for the creation of residential lots in unsewered areas of the metropolitan region, the WAPC will apply the Government Sewerage Policy Perth Metropolitan Region 1995 (as amended). The essence of that policy is that the provision of reticulated sewerage to all new residential subdivisions will be mandatory in the following circumstances:
    • Extensive broad-acre subdivision, involving the creation of lots in areas not currently developed for urban purposes, other than remote or isolated subdivision or density development in the outer metropolitan area.
    • Subdivision or density development in areas served by reticulated sewerage or which the responsible authorities determine can reasonably be connected to sewer.
    • Subdivision or density development in areas identified as unsuitable areas for on-site wastewater disposal.
    • Subdivision or density development where the absence of sewerage is considered by the responsible authorities to endanger public health, the environment or the quality of underground and surface water supplies.
    • Subdivision or density development where the absence of sewerage is considered by the responsible authorities to prejudice, physically or financially, the ability to provide sewerage to adjoining areas.

4. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Thanks. There is no requirement for reticulated sewerage.

The issue is their strict requirement for 2000m lots as far as i am aware.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My first step would be to speak to a shire planning officer. See where you go from there.

6. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Shire is happy with it, everyone is happy with it. Apparently everyone allows a 5% concession where appropriate other than Health Dept.

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Hmm. That's a tricky one. Health Dept is not a decision maker in the process, so it will be up to WAPC to make a determination that is against the Health Depts recommendation (assuming they don't support). I have a vague idea that someone I know might know something about this, so I will have a dig around and let you know if I find out anything useful.

MRO likes this.
  8. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Just spoke to Health Dept. They will not support so as @Perthguy said it will be at the discretion of WAPC to go against the recommendation.

Waiting for a call back from WAPC regarding this