WA - Engineering Drawings required - can you refer anyone?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Hodgo, 23rd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for an engineering drawing for footings to be be drawn for a car port that's being enclosed. Not a big job. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that do this in Perth?

thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You may get away using the standard details contained in the BCA/Acceptable Standards for Construction handbook.

125mm slab, 250 mm edge beam, F62 mesh 40mm from top, bar chairs, 20MPa concrete.

Two sections and an edge detail.

Year 10 tech drawing skills and @bob shovel's your uncle. ;)

Westminster and bob shovel like this.
  3. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

How so? The council has asked for engineering drawings. I have plans drawn, do I just right these numbers on the plans?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

councils ask for a lot of things that look difficult but peel back the council malarky and its straight forward.... Thats the hard part though!:mad:

148782269848560311886.jpg

That'll be $1200 thanks:cool:

Give it a go yourself first. Often*(need to get the right engineer/inspector) they are helpful if you go in and submit. It's not a high rise or bridge you're building so they like to approve quickly to boost their stats

Also check if you're exempt from council approval if under x m2. Might make things easier again

Scott No Mates and Hodgo like this.
  5. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

thanks @bob shovel , let me just screen grab that :D cheques in the mail.

Unfortunatly not exempt, we asked this already, several times as I still can't believe we require council approval for this.o_O

6. bob shovel

check with council for local applicable spec and copy paste to your job as Mr Friends said. try calling or going into council and chatting to someone, just dont go in during nap time or you'll suddenly have an environmentally sensitive restriction on your job!;)

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pretty much spot on, you forgot the + gst ;)

8. bob shovel

Mates rates.I'm a nice guy .... :)

Personally I'm a fan of SL81 with 32mpa but whatever floats your boat

Scott No Mates and Hodgo like this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@PerthEngineeringDraftyGuy might be able to assist but what @Scott No Mates and @bob shovel said should suffice. Generally the council have a document that says 'must comply to this picture and this picture' and you can white out everything and say 'will comply with this picture and this picture'

Hodgo likes this.
  10. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

thanks folks for all your comments, I requested a quote prior to asking you guys and he's replied with a cost of $300+GST. He's given me examples of what he will produce (S16848.pdf). I've attached them. Is this too much considering I've already got plans, again attached ?

He's also just told me...

"The architectural plans are definitely good enough for what you need and should pass council if they haven't already but we do a much higher standard of detailing and I would need to re-draw the plans from scratch as is seems the initial plans were hand drawn. I could probably cut the fee down by about $50 to make it $300 but with engineers fees and re drawing from scratch I couldn't go any lower than that. If you are still interested we can go from there. I would warn you though using cheap engineers to save some money can be dangerous as there is a lot of them out there and Ive seen some shockers that don't cover everything you need and your builder will just have a headache trying to get the work done"

Attached Files:

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I consider $300 pretty good value for his time as he'll have to redraw it.
    However I'm just not sure that you need it as it's just footing details that the council wants and your main plans are good enough for the submission if there was an additional page outlining the footing details.
    If you can't find the diagrams the council want though then I think $300 is not a bad price.

Hodgo likes this.
  12. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

These are the only diagrams we have. I'll ask council first what they want. Thanks Westminster.

13. bob shovel

Yep 300 is a good price but still may be over kill. Keep that for last resort if council drive you up the wall and you just want it approved

Hodgo likes this.