WA corner block subdivsion rules

Discussion in 'Development' started by Mr Low Risk, 1st Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mr Low Risk

Mr Low Risk Member

I have a residential corner block of 817sqm. Zoned R20.
    Is it subdivisible?
    What are the special rules for corner blocks?

PS. It's in Munster (City of Cockburn).

Newbie question. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

David_SYD likes this.
  2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Mr Low Risk and Perthguy like this.
  4. Mr Low Risk

Mr Low Risk Member

5. Mr Low Risk

Mr Low Risk Member

I couldn't find anything about the 5% variation. Still a mystery.

I found Table 1 of the R-codes, which I think is somewhat relevant
    https://www.dplh.wa.gov.au/getmedia...116ee2bce0e1/SPP_3-1_residential_design_codes

6. Mr Low Risk

Mr Low Risk Member

7. Westminster

It's section 4.2 on Lot Sizes read how normal 5% variations work then continue onto the section which explains greater than 5% variations

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's definitely in DC 2.2, not the R-Codes. Try a find for "corner" or "greater".

Quote from DC 2.2

"The policy allows consideration of variations to average lot size greater than five per cent for corner lots only."

Mr Low Risk likes this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I am confused
    Sometimes forums deliver a clear answer sometimes you have to work for it.
    If I have learnt something today. Somebody please correct me if I have miss read the links.

R20 average lot size 450m2
    minimum 350m2

817/2= 408.5m2 above minimum but below average needed

If you had a 1000m2 block you could have 2 blocks 400m2 each and a 200m2 (driveway) each block size above minimum and average above 450m2

In some areas however because it's a corner block each with it's own road access you don't need a shared driveway. So you could have 2 408m2 blocks because above minimum (350m2) but average 450m2 doesn't apply?

The 5% rule allows you do reduce the size of 1 (or all?) blocks to 333m2 provided average with driveway is 450m2 or above (R20)

Does the 5% rule also apply to average block size ie can that be 428m2? (R20)

Mr Low Risk likes this.
  10. Westminster

With R20 you'd normally need 900sqm to subdivide. If it's not a corner block then you can have up to 5% variation on either a minimum or an average so it could go down to around 860sqm (5% variation on average block size).

With corner blocks you are allowed to seek an approval of a greater than 5% variation on the average size BUT you must meet the minimum size. So in theory on a R20 block you could subdivide a corner block that is 700sqm

Does that help clarify it?

11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Thanks

So short answer is a 817m2 R20 corner block can be subdivided into 2 blocks with asked for and given approval.

Mr Low Risk likes this.
  12. Westminster

Yes with a couple of asterixes :p
    * that the block is not such a wierd shape that it prevents good design
    * that the block can accomodate two crossovers (ie if one side is a freeway; bus stop; got 4 street trees, 1 powerpole and a street sign then not going to happen)
    * that one side is actually another street - not a corner shaped block on the bend of one road

Mr Low Risk and Perthguy like this.
  13. Mr Low Risk

Mr Low Risk Member

Thanks. I learned lots today.

Westminster likes this.
  14. KB_

KB_ Active Member

Interesting. I wonder what the thinking behind this is, as a street with a 90 degree corner in it is going to have the same outcomes as if it were a separate street?

A little off topic, but what are the steps that can be taken if you don't meet the deemed to comply provisions as per above to get a subdivision approved?

Thanks very much for the info.

15. Westminster

I'm not too sure what the rationale behind it was. I agree it's a very similar outcome except with 2 street names they would get 2 street addresses.

If you don't meet it then there are some cases where it can be approved but it's really high risk and at the discretion of WAPC and the local council. Basically you apply as per normal and state why you think it should be. I'd be spending some money on a town planner if I really wanted to do it to help with the justification. Although WAPC are the higher authority they will seek guidance/permission from local council during the decision making process and then make their decision based on all the input from local councils and other authorities like Main Roads, DFES, Water Authority blah blah

16. Westminster

I forgot one more asterix (actually I'm sure there are more!) but this one I know
    * that both block frontages meet the minimum frontages

So if this is a R20 block then both need to meet the 10m frontage rule.

Calum McNealy and Perthguy like this.
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, some of the variations in DC 2.2 only apply if the local government supports the variation.

18. Calum McNealy

Calum McNealy Member

- All you need is 700m2
    - If keeping a house you require an "absolute minimum" of 350m2 in any one lot as the variation has already been applied and there is no room to move usually.
    - Access from 2 separate streets
    - Do you have the minimum frontage required on both streets e.g. R20 minimum 10m!
    - Sewer location should run parallel to both future boundaries on any side if considering green title.
    - Future Crossover must be minimum of 6m From end of curve at kerb. Make sure no side entry pits are in location of future crossover locations. This could hinder a sale.
    - Where are street trees... are they blocking future crossovers/ driveways.
    - Where will power dome go. Will there be a 136c underground power easement required over a long distance to service either future lot.
    - Are power poles blocking future carports or driveway access.

Check it all.

Perthguy and JohnPropChat like this.
  19. Calum McNealy

Calum McNealy Member

Please see attached "unusual" lot design shapes for corner block 5% rule subdivision to achieve areas and get approval. These designs are all approved by WAPC.

We dog leg around building to gain more area. It's not always perfect but sometimes it's the clients only option and we work with what we have.

Attached Files:

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice