WA border closure effect on Perth property

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by JL1, 31st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A lot of the increase in material prices is to do with shortages that weren't caused by the grants but by some global factors. So I'm not sure when they'll be coming down unfortunately.

I hope the labour costs will go down but they are in demand all over Australia at the moment so even with an open border they might not be flocking here if they don't need to

Lizzie and Elle Ar like this.
  2. Elle Ar

Elle Ar Well-Known Member

A FIFO allowance does not equal higher wages. Most people will choose to be home with their families if they can.

3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Depends where you are in your life. I know people who have done long or short stints and still doing it 20 years later. My daughter gets bombarded by an eastern states school mate trying to get into it.

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

That is not representive of the FIFO people I work with.

sanj likes this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's both a far too broad a generalisation, by you declaring the preferences of a very big group of people, And kinda ignorant of thet facts if you are genuinely making the claim that FIFO people don't earn more than they would living locally doing the same thing

6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I suspect its not representative of any FIFO folks outside of Elle's preconceptions re WA

Shogun likes this.
  7. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

Not really correct, only select trades are transferable and no industry experience trades are a last resort....

Elle Ar likes this.
  8. Elle Ar

Elle Ar Well-Known Member

It is based on my experience of working in thecstrategy department of a very large miner for years,. Common assumption was a staff churn of 30% p.a. and pretty consistent through boom or bust cycles btw. While some of that was switching companies, most was not.

Most people do not want to work FIFO for most of their working lives. Statistically, a minority do it for more than 5 years.

Either way, the point was / is:

Tradies will likely migrate from overseas (UK) and not so much from over East. I agreed with westminster's point that construction costs will likely remain elevated for a while.

Last edited: 31st Jan, 2022
    craigc likes this.
  9. Jaacksn

Jaacksn Well-Known Member

Surely i'm not the only one that is re-thinking purchasing in Perth because they are unable to view suburbs / houses for sale in person

Anyone else ??

JL1 likes this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

ABS data on increase in construction costs.

"Input prices to house construction rose in line with increased costs and strong demand for building materials, the main contributors were:

• Timber, board and joinery (+6.0%), driven by structural timber (+15.4%), due to ongoing demand in all states, stemming from government stimulus and increasing international freight costs.
    • Other metal products (+4.1%), driven by aluminium windows and doors (+3.0%), due to price rises in aluminium as a result of strong global demand and falling production outputs putting further strain on existing supply.
    • Other materials (+1.8%), driven by paint and other coatings (+6.0%), due to rising prices as a result of tight supply and increasing import costs."
    Producer Price Indexes, Australia, December 2021

PeterCr and Westminster like this.
  11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m expecting to hear more Covid cases in education in further announcements later this afternoon. It seems crazy enough without the borders being open.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Once the west joins the rest of Oz, cases will become rampant - it was an interesting experiment to 'isolate & vaccinate' but even with boosters, that spicy cough sure knocks you around, so when borders open it will be interesting to see how effective the strategy has been & whether any resilience has been built into the WA health system.

Was it false economy?

13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I took my daughter to get her booster this morning. While waiting my son messages me that there’s a meeting later today to discuss some positive cases where he’s studying. Trying to stay away from him until I know more, which I’m guessing will be tomorrow morning.

14. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Im trying, everything under offer in days. Need to reassess tactics.

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Great stuff Satayking...keep the satays of info coming...
    People...look at the positives...though I am only building new stuff....everything in decent areas in Perth is in short supply.

Based on what I am seeing ...there is no way the rental shortages in Perth will be fully addressed for at least 2-3 years. I got 2 new builds away for 380-405k...if I started them today I would be looking at 50k more ....and that is without the land prices going up.

Crazy but true.....which means only one thing prices will start galloping away....new house more so. Saw this in the Eastern states...and it now Perths time...

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The announcement must be imminent - Ch7 was running the Service WA app advert.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just did a jigsaw of Australia. The ocean was a bit tricky, being just blue, but that's our country... 20220207_215747.jpg

craigc likes this.