WA border closure effect on Perth property

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by JL1, 31st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

Frustration post - my risk assessment of WA border closures is starting to climb significantly. Its long been said that WA needs to diversify from mining, and there are some significant businesses there which achieve this. However, in the last week there has been notable business leaders announcing relocation to the eastern states as it is too hard for them to do business in WA. Any business that can is certainly thinking about it, meaning only those with explicit ties (i.e. those digging things there) will remain.

State economics aside, the reason i left WA was to escape the mining industry. The industry i now work in had just in the last few years started a multi-billion dollar growth path in WA and already it is dying. The company i work for does work in WA, yet we can't get people there. A year on, we are now very well set up to run our WA operations remotely from the east.

Given the "indefinite" closure, its honestly as impossible as the media is making it out to be. Not sure what the end-game is for WA but something monumental has to change. Otherwise WA really is sealing its own fate of mining dependency, and it will sell itself out of a lot of investors and residents seeking an alternative lifestyle.

Teatowel, Rex, charttv and 2 others like this.
  2. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Saw Richard Goyder today joined perth executive exodus. Last week Rob Scott, Anthony Gianotti as well. Couple of my friends inc families have relocated to Brisbane and Melbourne.

If this exodus continues for another few months especially young people, only Mcgowen will be there. At least Dan & Anastascia has learnt the lesson in VIC\QLD that we need to live with this virus but Mark no way.

Thats why personally i'm not keen in investing in WA when premier didn't trust his own health system. I've decided to invest in QLD and SA for forseeable future. I may be wrong as well.

MJS1034 and bamp like this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m happy it’s been closed a bit longer - I’d prefer my booster and family’s booster and plenty of others booster’s to kick in before borders open. I know no-one in Perth with Covid and heaps of people in Brisbane with Covid. They can’t work in Brisbane. The companies who employ them would be paying for a lot of leave without much production. At least the workers we have in Perth are being productive.

Skinman likes this.
  4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

The closure of the borders is doing massive damage to our long term prospects. Businesses are adapting to managing wa remotely and they will not need to rush back.

Our kids future for employment is being damaged. I need to travel to the east for work and it is making me uncompetitive. We can already see that omicron 2 is here and we will always have new variants of the virus needing new vaccines.

I looked at the crowd at the Australian Open last night - I don’t think they were envious of our the Perth way of life/

Scott No Mates, JL1, hematite and 2 others like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no logic to closing border at this time. Its criminal what he is doing to the people of WA. He broke his promise that we would open on 5 Feb and he now keeps changing the goal post.

We need to learn to live this like all the other States are doing in Oz

Mark McGowan has doubled down on WA's hard border — but with rising COVID cases, it may not last - ABC News

hematite likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is absolutely correct...NSW/VIC/Qld are going to have a lot of businesses go under. I am really surprised Perth still has only less than 15-30 cases a day even with Omnicron. With the boosters in...we will see the borders open by April. I reckon the numbers of cases will be similar to SA. At this point...there will also be anti-viral treatments approved.

Propin likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Most vulnerable people have had a third booster. Who is McGowan trying to protect?

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Feb, 2022
    hematite likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My husband and son can’t work from home - construction & mechanical, only my daughter could work from - office work. The boys can do as much overtime as they like which I feel is also good for our WA economy.

9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

To quote Captain Kirk "Brace for impact"

Covid is coming to WA.

I had my Booster a month ago. The best for me is to be exposed to Covid now. The longer the government wait to open, the more my protection wanes and people who put off being vacinated are rewarded with optimum booster protection by waiting.

If I have to isolate at work it will be in a bare room with a TV the room is smaller than most people's bathrooms

Last edited: 31st Jan, 2022
  10. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Whatever it is, I am very confident Perth property prices can only go up from here… together with building costs

Scaphella likes this.
  11. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

Perth property market is hot, Mark McGowan is not.

Skinman likes this.
  12. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Once it's easier to enter WA, labour costs should stop going up.

Would be interesting to see the projected pipeline of builders. I would suspect there would be a big increase due to grants, but once that's gone...what happens then? Build costs should cool?

13. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Do you think Eastern tradies will move to Perth to get paid less?

Elle Ar likes this.
  14. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

That assumes Eastern States tradies get more than Perth tradies at the moment though?

15. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yep. Opening up international migration flood gate should help. I hope they are coming as soon as possible. Till then, costs stay high

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yeah it's cooked, McGowan needs to announce the revised date or at least specific parameters for determining that date ASAP before business and investment confidence in the state is further seriously harmed. The phrase sovereign risk comes to mind nowadays for the way the state government is handling things.

Last edited: 31st Jan, 2022
    Jaacksn, Scaphella and MTR like this.
  17. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its gaining momentum.

My builder just told me he got hit with timber increase

19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

You can actually earn a lot more as a tradie in WA in mining so wages to stay in Perth has always been quite good to keep people here.

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Jan, 2022
    Mulianto likes this.
  20. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Lizzie and Elle Ar like this.