Vynil Plank Supplier/ Installer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by EN710, 1st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

One of the property in might need to be replaced if the tenant decided to leave in 1.5 months or so (this thread Hm, new tenant or keep current tenant? they basically go back and forward saying they will sign with no rent increase and no carpet renewal but keep dragging).

I'm thinking of replacing the carpet with Vynil Plank so it last longer - any suggestions on supplier/ installer around the area? The last quote was only for Living room and Hallway ($1800) and now I'm looking for approx. 100sqm worth of flooring.

Property is in Rochedale South QLD

Would it be cheaper if I separate jobs, e.g. get someone to do carpet and underlay removal, source vynil plank myself and get an installer? Recommendations please :p

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No suggestion on supplier?

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I didn't read the other thread yet but you can get them off eBay for a good price.

Worth getting a local handyman to quote the lot.
    Why the planks?have you considers the type on a roll? No joins and a lot easier and cheaper

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Roll can look a bit tacky no?

5. bob shovel

I think they look very similar. I was just at a house with the "fake slate" roll and was rather impressed :)

6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Any link ;) or pic

7. bob shovel

I'm gone now.
    Bunnings sells it. Worth a look, some look pretty good

EN710 likes this.
  8. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

We used the planks in a previous IP reno - the valuer noted that it had polished timber floors! I'm not sure that the sheet vinyl has quite the same effect??

We installed the planks ourselves. Easy to do, but it did take longer than we had planned.

One of the advantages of the planks over sheets is in small or narrow areas - As the sheets usually come in wide widths you can end up paying for more materials than you need.

Attached Files:

Gockie likes this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Look very nice @Christina46 !
    Stupid question... do you need a sub floor/ padding below the vynil?

10. Christina46

Nope - it went straight onto concrete (from which carpet had been removed) with something like a double sided sticky tape. Very easy.

EN710 likes this.
  11. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Hi @EN710 i used the following supplier based in underwood recently: Specialty Flooring Xtra | Flooring Brisbane | Online Quote had a lounge room carpeted supply and install for $500 which I was pretty happy with. They have a huge selection of vinyl plank in a range of prices, will probably use them again for flooring on our PPOR in the coming months.

EN710 likes this.
  12. bob shovel

Some come with a sticky backing, some you need to get glue

13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Looks bloody awesome

Christina46 likes this.
  14. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Would you go the vinyl planks over laminate floorboards?

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If given the choice i think i would. Laminate is more expensive in the quote, and I'm not talking about expensive ones. They are cheapy non water resistant one

16. Christina46

Speaking with an architect friend who does a lot of high end work, the vinyl planks are becoming popular in many of the renovated and new builds along the Brisbane river. Makes sense if there are flood issues, but also for downstairs areas where people may be coming in from the pool.

In my own homes I've preferred to use either bamboo or solid timber (prefer the feel). In an ip with tenants to worry about I think the vinyl planks are a great, worry free option.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Jane Eyles-Bennett Member

It's true; lots of higher end homes are going with the vinyl planks these days. I've used them on high end homes and also used a cheaper brand on a clients investment property recently. The vinyl planks do typically look better than a vinyl roll, but its all going to depend on the budget and the type of property you're working with. There are also limitations around substrates. For instance, you can't lay over timber floors where there are holes all over the place. In this case they usually lay a new substrate down before the vinyl (which can really add to the cost etc). Here's some info about subfloors I stumbled across a while ago if anyone is interested ... Lay flat vinyl, Preparing for installation, Assessing the subfloor

18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just quick update, so far the cheapest quote I could get is $62 per sqm plus carpet and underlay removal+disposal.

This is for the higher quality 5mm plank which actually cheaper to install. If I opt for carpet it's about $48 per sqm.

Will post some pic once done :)

19. MoneyMan

MoneyMan Well-Known Member

I thought you still need an underlay for vinyl flooring if going straight on the concrete

20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Not really... If using the thinner 2-3mm the floor need to be prepped and primed and the plank need to be glued. The 5mm doesn't need underlay

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia