Vote compass

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Gockie, 30th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Well, seeing what happened with Brexit I figured I should figure out which way I should really vote based on my actual beliefs, rather than just stick a finger in the air....

Completely surprising to me turns out my personal beliefs puts me closely aligned to Labor..... I guess it could be my Western Sydney background and my experience of mixing in with great people of all cultures, fair go and equality of rights to all and the technology user in me that believes we need to have fast internet... without accessible leading edge technology Australia will be left behind... I know Labor has no chance of winning in my seat of Bennelong though.

Australia Votes 2016 - Vote Compass - ABC News

Last edited: 30th Jun, 2016
    Redwing and Terry_w like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Me too but I went off Labor when Rudd and Gillard gouged low income earners and students (changes to Low Income Superannuation Co-contribution and changes to HECS/PELS repayments). Considering they are supposed to take care of low income earners and students, I found these policies extremely unfair.

This time round Shorty wants to introduce changes to Capital Gains Tax and Negative Gearing that will financially harm lower and mid income earner investors. Looks to me like this policy will widen the gap between "rich" and "poor" and I won't support it. But then I won't be supporting any of the major parties in the senate. I don't have much choice in the lower house but I do have a choice in the senate.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Fair call... I think that's true for everybody. And for what its worth, John Alexander (former Tennis player) is my local MP but my neighbour reckons he is useless....

Anyway, whoever wins the lower house won't be able to have their policies passed in the upper house, and so this going nowhere will continue...

4. Perthguy

Or whoever forms government will have to learn to work with whoever holds the balance of power in the upper house. This is the way it should be. The senate is the house of review, not the house of rubber stamping idiotic government policies! :p

5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Liberal.
    No surprise there. I did however arrive there through mostly apathetic responses except for a select few.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Jeepers..nearly 1 million uses of that tool... ABC have some valuable info.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Liberal.

For me it's not about the policies of either party, both have good and bad. both lie etc.

For me it's all about their underlying philosophical beliefs. Personally I believe at the end of the day labour is all about " claim your entitlement" and liberal is about "earn your entitlement".

Erida, Angel, Bayview and 4 others like this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Liberal. I know both leaders are puppets but at least Malcolm is an intelligent puppet. Bill's narky puns are too nauseating for words. I'd be embarrassed to have him as PM.

Perthguy, JDP1 and Sackie like this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Pauline hanson has made ground in qld (most likely the regional areas) ..lol...so many rednecks still around.

10. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Compass put me centre or Labor on most things, always voted National in the past, this time Labor for the first time ever, the Negative Gearing issue has swung it for me.

Is that really your main concern ?... support for NG is usually for self interested reasons. When a Pollie says something about NG removal hurting lower income earners I immediately know they are lying, which turned me completely off Turnbull.

11. Perthguy

Yes, that is my main concern. I don't need negative gearing or the CGT concessions although paying more tax when I sell my shares would not have been enjoyable. It will impact my low incomer earner investor mates though. 'The rich' can afford higher taxes. Lower income investors can't afford them.

Exactly, and Turbull turned me off too. But I am talking about low income earner investors. I know them, I work with them and I talk to them. Labors policy is to slug investors with a big tax hike. They lied and said it was about housing affordability but if that is true, why did they hike taxes for every person selling shares? It was a revenue raising policy, nothing more. I could really see this policy increasing the gap between "rich" and "poor".

The CGT concessions certainly need to addressed but this was not the answer. I would like to see a reasonable and well thought through policy that doesn't kick low and mid income investors in the guts.

Angel and Bayview like this.
  12. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Pauline Hanson might pick up a Senate seat in NSW not QLD

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yeah correct....same rednecks though

14. Perthguy

15. Perthguy

@JDP1 @HUGH72 how many total seats will One Nation have in the Senate then? I am reading that as 3? o_O

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Maxine mckew experiment failed.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Possibly, it's not clear. If they have to gain senate places from PUP I hope one will be in NSW so Qld won't be the only state with a red neck minority.o_O:p

Perthguy likes this.
  18. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

dunno...but whatever it is, its too many.

Joynz likes this.
  19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Turnbull experiment failed.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What is your definition of low income earner? Under $40,000?