Voluntary Work

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 29th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

I'm with St John in Vic. We only do event health here and patient transfers (the transfers are a paid gig though). Ambulance Vic are pretty good. What sort of training do they put you through? Here, they pay for first aid basic, advanced, asthma management, advanced cpr and defib, meds and cardio. Training is ongoing (every second Wednesday night for 2 hrs) and events last anywhere from 2hrs to 10hrs. Although we usually get the worst injuries about 10 mins before knock off which keeps us there sometimes hours late :rolleyes:

When I retire I want to go back to uni and do paramedicine. Good experience in the meantime.

ellejay likes this.
  2. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I serve on the board of two charities. Many people don't see that as volunteering, but it certainly is. Without good governance charities implode.

I know someone who volunteers in 'adoptions' at the RSPCA which is really like a massive pet shop, but they sell 'used' pets as well as new. They sell all pets - dogs, cats, birds, lizards, mice, rats etc. The sale of pets helps to fund their other work. Often a surrendered/stray animal requires weeks of work to get it to a 'saleable' condition.

They sell for as much as the market will bear. Cute pups and kittens get a good price. Other's not so much. Surprisingly the most 'decrepit' animals go quickly. A 3 legged 15 year old dog will move - some people have an altruistic motivation when selecting a pet.

They screen their customers and ensure that the pet matches the customer. They won't sell a husky to a 90-year-old woman in wheel chair living a studio. I tried to buy a couple of mice for my cat but was knocked back. They only put animals down if they have serious issues that can;t be corrected - eg a dog that is vicious and can't be trained.

chindonly and MTR like this.
  3. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I volunteer as the Chairman of a property trust on behalf of a group of charities / not for profits.
    Also work for a charity, so all of my extra hours and efforts are volunteering! lol

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I was fostering puppies some time ago now with SAFE, (Saving Animals from E

I know there has been criticism directed at groups that save dogs etc with regards to tight screening process.

I can understand why. I was involved in a scenario where a customer adopted a dog and 3 months later she sold it to someone who contacted the agency as he no longer wanted the dog.

Anyone who adopts a dog from this agency had to sign an agreement that the dog be returned to the agency if they could no longer care for the dog.

It infuriates me how some people can be so callas. Eventually got him a lovely forever home.

MTR:)

ellejay likes this.
  5. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Now we're settled back in Sydney, partner and I am in touch with two animal charities to help out (one with their media and one with hands-on grooming, walking, cleaning up poop etc). Animals are a passion of ours (we have a big rescue household) and it's the reason we are into accruing property wealth - to fund our animal sanctuary later in life. So volunteering at these places actually keeps us motivated with property too :). Win win!

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We got a dog come back today he was adopted 4 years ago, am sure we will adopt him again

don't know why he came back..

We adopt 10 dogs per week and have plenty of people who will foster, how great is this long term dogs need this, a home

mtr

Beanie Girl and Jennifer Duke like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia