Voluntary Planning Agreement - please help

Discussion in 'Development' started by Property person, 29th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property person

Property person Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there is someone there that can help me. I'm putting in for a DA and the council want me to upgrade a road (in terrible condition) that I shouldn't have to. Even my traffic report says I shouldn't - it should be the responsibility of my neighbours lot as I have several other entry points.

In my response to council, how do I purpose a Voluntary Planning Agreement based on lots (existing on street and for when neighbour develops his lot) - without actually drafting an agreement?

Could someone help me with this response? I've got something drafted I can send.

appreciate any help out there.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Why is a voluntary planning agreement a solution to your problem even?

3. Property person

An agreement to pay 'some' not the complete costs.... what else would you suggest? roll over and say ok.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Then communicate like a normal person and just say what you want or are thinking?

I don't go into a store with my drafted "Agreement to Acquire Items in exchange for Legal Tender" - I ask them "how much is that?" instead.

What am I missing here?

5. Property person

You are missing a lot. I'm looking for someone with some experience with these arrangements - clearly not you - so not sure why you are wasting your time in responding to something you have zero knowledge in. It's a formal response to a government agency on a development application. You don't put in for a $30m development and rock up to council saying, hey mate, what do you think on this point? It's a response to their written, 'request for information'

Colin Rice likes this.
  6. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

Little harsh comment.

Talk to your town planner. We did a project in NSW and we were able to negotiate a few council's demands. Out town planner produced a justification report (8 -9 pages long).

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  7. Property person

Thank you for your comment - that is helpful..... I didn't mean to come across harsh, but found the advice 'communicate like a normal person' unnecsssary ....

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The VBA is not drafted by the party in response to the DA condition AFAIK, it is a negotiation.

It is not unusual for the first party to lodge a DA get hit with upgrade a road, install traffic lights, extend sewer/stormwater amplification works etc and there is no recourse to get a single zac from adjoining neighbours/developers.

Your architect, town planner and solicitor should be advising not fishing for the answer on a forum.

https://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/-/m...practice-note-planning-agreements-2021-02.pdf

If you check City of Sydney council website and dig deep enough on a few DA's around Waterloo or Green Square you will find several.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A lawyer that is also a developer has zero knowledge?

Scott No Mates, thatbum and Tyla like this.
  10. Property person

Thanks for that - my town planner did advise we go down this road.
    This has come back on the third request for information from the council- I was hoping there was a way, they'd grant a DA (once I resubmit on the few remaining items) and put this down as a 'condition to consent' to the DA. There would be no point in drafting up a proposal as council may have no interest.
    In my resubmission, I need to ask if this can be negotiated as a condition to consent, so it was on the process that I was seeking any advise.