Volume Builders: How do you select them

Discussion in 'Development' started by Luca, 19th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Would you reccomend steel frame over the timber one?

2. jippa3000

jippa3000 Member

Hi Luca,
    As a lot of people have mentioned on here, apples with apples is very hard to compare as all the majors play games with promos, inclusions and site costs.

After being in the industry for some time and having friends that have work for all the majors my suggestion would be to go for a small builder that has a good investor product that you can modify to suit an odd block. You save on the block price and using a small builder that won't charge you an arm and a leg for the changes.

If you need anymore info just shoot me a PM.
    Good luck.

James

3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

thanks everyone for the comments.

Which builders would you recommend based on your experience here in Melbourne?
    Also do you know any building inspector and what`s the cost I should expect?

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Luca
    why do you need a building inspector? you are local? builder has 7 year structural liability.

Bank/valuer also arranges final inspection at end of build

If you were out of State perhaps ?just my opinion

5. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hi MTR,

Yeas I am. I read somewhere it was recommended to get a BI to check at the various stages. So I guess I can potentially do this by myself?

6. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was talking to a local builder who was doing a complete home for a client who I was doing the landscaping for. He said he couldn't even build his own home as cheaply as the volume builders since they source their materials so cheaply + pay less for their regular subies.
    As the others have said, volume builders can be good if the house design suits your site without modifications + if you can organise the finishing touches like floor coverings, driveways, landscaping, etc. Of course you need to be close by to organise all of these yourself.

Yes Luca you can do the quality control yourself. I found it was a very useful experience as it was my apprenticeship on knowing how a house gets built! My second build was a bit more hands on and fast forward - now I manage my own building projects! :)

Good luck with the project.

Luca and Sackie like this.
  7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what contract clauses do you usually check / change?Reading here and there on the forum a made a sort of list:
    • Days spent to fix defects to be included it in the days to build (no extention of time).
    • Include a finish date.
    • Set the max number of days to be claimed for inclement weather. What`s the industry standard?
    • Clean up before handover
    • Delays @ $450 / day
    • Build time: ideally 12 weeks or less. I would assume this depends on the house. Do you have a standard rule you usually apply?
    • Start time: 8 weeks?!?!
    • "make your selections" appointment to be included in the contract
    Also do you usually get someone to check the contract first?

Thanks,
    Luca

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Luka

it is very important to have independent inspections done, including at slab pre pour stage. Very common to have defects at every stage.

Yes, there is a standard warranty for construction, but by the time the building is complete, you won't be able to see if termite protection has been installed correctly, if the water proofing is correct etc. etc.

Builders are very busy, especially volume builders. Things get missed. I have seen many cases of insulation batts being installed with large gaps - which is completely not to code.

There is a great Guide to Standards and Tolerances that can be used for plaster finish etc, but I would still get an independent inspector.

Also, have a look at the Homeone Forum new builds thread for more essential information.

Finally, make sure that your design makes the most of the land orientation. The design should have living areas facing north, with apropriate shading for summer sun such as slats or eaves. Check that the alferesco won't make the living areas too dark.

It costs no more to select the right layout and will pay off by being much more pleasant and cheaper to live in for the tenants and eventual owners if you sell. Will also be easier to get the 6 star rating too. Good natural light will help with resale and can make small rooms seem bigger.

If you are buying in an estate, be aware of how close the other houses will be. The display homes will usually not have side fences, so the house looks less 'boxed in'. Don't be fooled. Double storeys will usually require privacy glass to a certain height to stop overlooking.