Vision Boards - Who's got one?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Jess Peletier, 17th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I love a good motivational tool, but one thing I've never done is create a vision board. I've always been quite focused and aware of my goals so never really felt the need.

That said, I feel like I've plateaued a bit recently and lost inspiration, and a lot of the books I've been reading for a kick start have just been different ways of saying things I already know. So was still feeling a bit apathetic which I hate.

Yesterday I bought a book called 'The Morning Miracle' by Hal someone and I'm not finished it yet but it's quite refreshing. it's about setting a morning routine to help you focus on what you really want and plan how you're going to achieve it.

I do have a morning routine to a point, where I get up and exercise early but don't really purposefully focus on goals or take the time to meditate/pray or anything so I'm looking forward to getting up just 10 minutes earlier to have that time of focus before starting the day. To help that focus I've made myself a vision board to put my goals in front of me first thing every morning.

I'd love to hear how many others have used vision boards and how useful you've found them? If they are a key part of your success or just another ra-ra tool? For me, even just making it has been re-energising so I'm looking forward to seeing how much of an impact it makes.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Check out Tim ferris and the book he starts the day with, pretty cool. I can't remember the name

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I personally don't like vision boards or anything else that is labelled and gimmicky.

They do have a place, but a completely unintergrated person who has nothing connected internally can't just stick things on a board and expect that they will just manifest.

So much more to it but I won't get into it here.

4. Jess Peletier

Ha! No, of course not. Things don't just manifest.

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I have one Jess, haven't used it in over 2 years since I moved though.

I would list all financial and personal goals I would like to achieve over the year. Each time I succeed in achieving that goal it's crossed off, or not if I fail.
    Was great to reflect on how many goals were achieved at the end of the year and those that I didn't achieve were placed back on for the next year with additional new goals.
    Found it extremely helpful for focus. You don't realise how much you can achieve until you have it staring back at you.

6. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Vision boards are a great tool to have as a visual depiction of your goals.

If your feeling uninspired and at a plateau though, perhaps its wise just to sit with it for a while? Life comes at us in cycles and its equally just as valuable to "rest" and "plateau" for a while, whilst you find your feet again and discover whats next for you...... might want to look at your values and see if they are aligning with your goals, because if they aren't then your goals will hardly inspire you.

7. Jess Peletier

To be honest, I think I just forgot what my goals were in the routine of getting them done.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

When achieving goals becomes so much part of your life it can feel a bit everydayish.

I think it's probably time to set some new 'normal targets' and some new 'stretch targets'. Think of it as items you have a 60% chance of achieving as normal and things which are 30% achievable as stretch and add in a 10% achievable if you want to reach for the stars.

Sackie, Jess Peletier and bob shovel like this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

With goals I like to use the SMART acronym
    Specific
    Measurable
    Achievable
    Relevant
    Time limited

10. Jess Peletier

I love the SMART acronym, my hubby taught me that. I have some sort of airy goals on my board that I'll need to pin down with that.

I also have a specific and measurable goal that I'll be seeking your input on shortly @Westminster ;)

Westminster likes this.
  11. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff: goals, strategies, objectives, tactics. Brief and debrief.

12. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

i've kept them on and off over the years. one of the pics I had on it was of a gent at a black tie affair with a gorgeous lady on each arm. a few weeks after posting that up I was invited to a ball and ended up having a photo that matched the one on my board almost exactly. I was blown away.

13. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

LOL, We were once at a seminar it was Friday and running through the weekend and similar to you, we had to write down our goals for the weekend, they where put in an envelope to be discussed on the following Monday night on completion of the seminar.

There was some amazing stories even our own outcome but the one I remember, was a young bloke reading his goal of awakening with two (not one) blondes on Sunday morning with romp in the bed with them, this is exactly what happened, is two young nieces came around in that morning with his sister to make him breakfast and they jumped all over him.
    Careful what you wish for.

charttv likes this.
  14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

To much info??:cool: lol good to have goals

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

This vision board helps me greatly:

upload_2016-4-18_1-1-22.png

I went to an optometrist in Cabramatta and was told to read from the 5th line.

I said "maate, it's all in Chinese characters"

He said "stop looking at the newspaper on my desk, you iriot"

alexm, Foxy Moron, S1mon and 7 others like this.
  16. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@monalisa and I have a vision board and it actually worked for us!

17. Mitesh Dedhia

Mitesh Dedhia Well-Known Member

I love this video by Brian Johnson on Vision Board

18. Jess Peletier

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Or do they...
    I've never had a physical vision board, but I can see the attraction. If it gets you moving, go for it.
    I think you would find morning meditation beneficial, even if you only did it for a certain period. But consistency is important (daily for a certain amount of time).

20. Jess Peletier

I've been using mine property for a week or so, and even in that short time I've noticed that I've been more productive, more focused and more motivated. I find just having the things that are important to you at the front of your mind very beneficial, added to that I use my journal time to write my to-do list so I don't forget anything, and also add things that are put-offable to add a sense of urgency to them.

Re manifesting, only if you DO something.