Visa conditions to push migrants to regions

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by ric.r, 9th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Why can't it be filled by locals - we have a million people in universities and vocational training at any one time. Surely there's not a shortage of IT graduates with those sorts of numbers? Or is the shortage in people who are willing to work for sub-award wages (because that seems to be the reality)?

2. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

The number of science graduates are growing but the jobs are not | Grattan Institute

A lot of local graduates in IT actually have trouble getting jobs. So it's a bit far fetched that we can't supply the industry with locals:

"Grattan Institute’s regular overview of key trends in higher education, focuses on STEM graduate employment.

Grattan Institute Higher Education Program Director Andrew Norton says that despite poor employment outcomes, demand for science courses continues to grow.

‘Prospective students thinking about studying science need to know that a bachelor science degree is high risk for finding a job. Often students need to do another degree to improve their employment prospects,’ Mr Norton says.

While there are many more potential jobs in IT than science, a third of recent IT graduates cannot find full-time work.

IT students are less satisfied with their skills development, and are more likely to leave their courses without finishing, than are other students. IT industry and professional bodies suggest that university IT courses need improving".

Engineering graduates have better employment prospects than science or IT graduates. Three-quarters of new engineering graduates have full-time work, and have the highest rate of professional or managerial employment of all STEM graduates.

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Yes - absolutely this is the case.

I haven't seen a single IT Graduate program in any of the big corporations I've work in since I myself was a grad 18 years ago. Companies are too lazy to nurture a graduate, they believe it's better for them to import 457 instead. In fact, it's the Wipro/InfoSys/TCS/Tech M's that fly workers in when legally they are supposed to look local first, but never do.

Yes and no. 457's are supposed to be 'skilled' migrants (although the system is being rorted big time just to undercut labour costs - some are skilled, some is fraud). However, 457's only make up a portion of migrants (which this thread is about - migrants (not skilled migrants) moving to regionals). The student visas, partner visas and so on which eclipse the 457 numbers, and by definition student visas are unskilled and end up as Uber drivers and so on.

IT wages have been flat more or less - yes - for the same role. Of course an individual who grows in experience and move up through roles will get a payrise, but the pay rate for a given role (say a senior, non-managerial developer/engineer) has been the same for years. When we talk about rates of pay we never mean an individuals career progression. Your post is proving more than just one of my points.

Hahaha... OK, sure, thanks for that generalisation against Australians.

If you're going to bring peoples background into it... if only we could make this bet - Australian run businesses vs Non-Australian run businesses - who underpays their workers more. I'll bet the house. Just go look on the council websites to see which businesses constantly get food safety violations and so on and it's clear which businesses are more likely to not do things by the book.

I would say it's more industry based, rather than peoples background (i.e. hospitality).

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2018
  4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i accept any amount you wanna bet.

i'll offer you 2 to 1
    ok lets start with the definition of Australian.

Aboriginal and islanders ?
    British or irish ?
    Greek or italian ?
    Europeans ?
    Americans ?
    Asians ?
    White skin only ?
    non - white skin only ?
    any other race or colour that i left out

OR
    Born and raised in australia
    anyone that hold the australian citizenship ?

OR

all of the above ?

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Not going there. Let's just agree to disagree, or maybe just agree there are lots of businesses who do the wrong thing, and many who do the right thing. We'd never be able to prove one way or the other anyway.

6. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

yes, true, people like to blame small migrant business because its easy target and sells paper but the truth is big business do more harm to the economy and employment market than rest of the economy put together.

7. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I think it’s kinda like why companies tend not to promote from within as much anymore, if you are unknown it is much easier to ‘talk up’ your skills and experience and appear to be a better fit for the role than you really are.

Locals graduates may just need to lift their game. There are many organisations set up in Australia catering to Chinese that have graduated from local universities (probably overseas uni’s as well) that run a basic jobs skills class and then give fake references to achieve the 2 years experience that many entry level jobs seem to seek. I know first hand 3 people that this has worked for.

8. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Yeah but that's cheating...!