Visa conditions to push migrants to regions

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by ric.r, 9th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ric.r

ric.r Member

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

As long as jobs are available then I'd say yes, it should attract higher rents initially as the demand for accommodation is there. As to buying and settling or moving on once they can I'm not sure. I'll take a guess and say some will stay, others will eventually move on.

virhlpool likes this.
  3. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

This idea will disappear after the election. I can see negatives coming out of this as companies may try to take advantage of the situation offering questionable wages and conditions

virhlpool likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

how will they encourage migrants to go to regional. If it is a condition of a visa how could it be enforced?

Whitecat and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Put a border around Sydney? Really no idea how they can do it.

6. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

It cant be ! There already is (was ?) 189 and 190 visa categories - 190 being state sponsored and more easier to get. The condition was the applicant needs to stay in the state (not even regional) for 2 years - but this is only obligatory and not enforced. Its just a joke, the way this nation deals with immigration. Lets get 200k people into Sydney every year but lets not build any associated infrastructure ! Who needs hospitals anyway! Immigration forums are filled with posts where people boast of scamming this scheme.

NT gov is currently giving AUD 15k to people to come and live here - I don't know what the people will do here as all the jobs are down South. People will automatically come to regional areas if there are bloody jobs in the regionals. For $2 /hr of mango picking regionals will only attract illegal migrants.

PoBoy, codeninja and Whitecat like this.
  7. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

I won't bet on this article and start investing in regional ...

Focus should be on all or majority of the growth drivers (and this is just one of them).

And it's pretty common with these kinds of visa, once migrants get their residency, they tend to relocate to major cities...

Cheers,

8. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

Perhaps an industry for cheap studios in regional areas for immigrants who need an address for their visa.

I don't mind the idea in general, but it seems very pie in the sky at the moment.

9. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Friends of ours migrated to Australia on a work visa with the "condition" that they lived in Canberra for 2 years. They certainly didn't last there that long. They are now somewhat apprehensive about applying for citizenship, I told them not to be.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The government has a huge influence on where immigrants settle in the past, but it doesn't need to be a specific policy. Simply look to where the processing centres have been located and where people settle, but there are other factors as well.

Thinking of Victoria, Springvale is an obvious example. A lot of Vietnamese immigrants went through processing there in the 80s and today it's a Vietnamese hub.

Box Hill has a large Chinese population, I believe it's because the first few digits of the phone number was all '8', especially before they introduced the current phone number format in the 1990s.

My parents immigrated to Australia in the 1950s from the Netherlands. The processing centre was in Daylesford which is where my mother's family first lived. Daylesford still has a significant Dutch population. Mum's family later moved to Geelong, apparently a Dutch company called 'Shell' built some infrastructure there. Dad's family went to Ballarat (more jobs there than Daylesford).

If you want to get people to live in certain locations, the government doesn't need to make it a visa condition. They simply need to give them a reason to be there and the best way to achieve that is jobs and infrastructure.

luckyone, Francesco, Amv8 and 3 others like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Back in the 60's my parents were 10 pound pommies. When they got off the ship half were shipped to Newcastle the other half to Wollongong. All the men had jobs lined up in the mines. We went to Wollongong. They didn't move away until Dad retired to Port Macquarie.

BTW, Dad lasted maybe 6mths in the mine. He had no experience & hated it. He moved out of there as soon as he found another job.

I think if you want them to go somewhere specific, take them there & give them jobs. It's so much easier for them to settle somewhere if they've got employment already organised.

12. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

who are these guys building policies of the nation? its like telling me a lie on my face

13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

This govt has a habit of doing absolutely nothing but dressing it up to look like policy. This fits firmly in that category.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tear up the M1, M4, M5 - no one will dare travel.the Great Western Highway, Liverpool Rd or the Pacific Hwy.

Someguy likes this.
  15. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Some banks were able to lend money to migrants on these VISAs - If it stated on the VISA needed to live regionally good luck getting loan for Owner Occupied outside of those cities. So in-turn the ability to purchase a property to live in could encourage living regionally.

virhlpool, albanga and Terry_w like this.
  16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

How are they going to stop people moving? Build fences around regional towns? Many regional towns don’t have enough jobs for locals, let alone bringing in more people to be housed and supported.

Once they are in Australia, migrants can and will move where they like, especially if they have relatives in major cities.
    Marg

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An influx of residents may lead to an increase in the availability of casual/part time jobs in services employment (shops, medical, government support services, education etc).

18. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Employed sponsored Visa?

19. ymmf

ymmf Well-Known Member

I don't think it is the case for 189.

I guess there is nothing to stop people from renting a shxthole in regional areas and use it for a letterbox only.

virhlpool likes this.
  20. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

Agree that people should not be forced to choose where they live. Policies that make regional centres more attractive are needed instead.