Viridian Tinted Vlam vs ComfortPlus Low E glass ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Westminster, 5th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We have chosen Viridian Vlam thicker 6.38mm laminated glass for our new PPOR to help with some overhead plane noise. The noise isn't terrible but it is noticeable and we weren't sure how much the actual house would block out so went with the thicker glass.

The house has a lot of glazing - it's a country style home with verandahs all around and french doors from rooms onto the verandahs and a raked ceiling in the living area with big triangle window and then sliding doors below out onto a raked alfresco area.

The glazier asked on Friday if we'd like to upgrade the glass which we had chosen which was the base Vlam 6.38mm in clear. Our choices are

$3k upgrade Vlam 6.38mm with tint VLam™ – the First Step in Safety, Security & Noise Control
    $11k upgrade ComfortPlus 6.38 with low E ComfortPlus™ – for Creating a Sanctuary from the Elements

There is very few windows to the West and East to keep the internal temps nice. We actually have too much shading on the North for it to be truly solar passive but this is where our outdoor living is and I wanted that to be covered. We have lots of insulation.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used these products and your thoughts on them. I'm tempted by the ComfortPlus Low E upgrade as keeping heat in for winter and keeping heat out in summer would be nice.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@sanj might have 2 cents to add.

Low E is only effective on some elevations not for all windows - are they pushing for all windows to be upgraded or just a few?

Check out the Veridian & Comfortplus websites or speak with their consultants to get the right balance. Some windows will not require more expensive treatment.

If overhead noise transfer is an issue, other bulk insulation installation may be required eg. "canite" or denser "noise stop board" or pink.

Westminster likes this.
  3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I think you'll be fine with your current selection. Positive sealing doors and windows (awning and casement styles) and heavy glass make the biggest difference to noise reduction.

6.38mm Vlam is pretty tough as it is. I wouldn't bother upgrading to "security laminate" unless you really want the tinted window.

e-Glass? I've never used it. I don't see the point if your house is already designed for energy efficiency. It would take years to make back any energy savings... You could always upgrade after you move in, and decided that you really need it on some of your doors/windows.

4. Scott No Mates

Short-sightedness not to install at the construction stage. Yes it may be expensive but we don’t know how the cost of energy will increase over the next few years.

5. Westminster

The UV protection from the tinted Vlam is attractive - we have bleached floorboards and furniture in our current house with non tinted glass. So at the minimum we will go with the tinted option.

@Scott No Mates you have raised an excellent point that maybe only certain windows should have it. They were going to do all of them with either option

I think the thick glass and the insulation we have chosen will handle the noise, just thinking of the energy efficiencies we might be able to get at this point via the 2 glass choices.

6. Westminster

Neither choice would be for security, it would all be about keeping us cool in summer and warm in winter.

7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Low e glass is pretty crap for keeping heat in in winter. In the justifiable pursuit of keeping heat out in summer, we often end up with houses well designed that are cool in summer but struggles to stay warm in winter.

Low e is going to lead to this happening, you're spending a fair bit on the house already, why not get double glazing?

Generally double glazing is better overall than normal glass of course (as in both summer and winter) and is better in winter than low e, with low e better in summer IF exposed to direct sun.

Low e will see you losing a fair bit of heat through the glass in winter which will be a problem

Double glazing will also help the sound issue with

Phase2 likes this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Standard VLam has UV protection in the laminate layer. So you wouldn't need the tinted glass to help with that.

Like @sanj said, low-e doesn't really keep heat in... I've had double glazing too, it wasn't great in summer, better in winter. Good for noise reduction, but heavy laminate is equally as good, the most important thing is that the windows seal properly.

9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Not short-sighted. Low e is very expensive and glass is easy to replace if you decided you wanted to change a few panes down the track. Why spend the$ now if you're not sure what the benefit will be?

10. Scott No Mates

Concersely @Phase2, it is much more expensive to replace the glass at a later stage. If done while an IP this is an improvement and not immediately deductible either.

I note that the OP is more concerned about noise than insulating properties in which case Laminated glass will be better than 6mm float glass but perform worse than a double glazed unit.

I just love how we are all concerned about the environment but very few are prepared to put our hands in our pockets to do what is achievable but would rather plow our money into the smoke and mirrors of the 'visible' improvements vs the unseen which don't give the immediate impact. Where is the altruism?

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2017
    sanj likes this.
  11. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I've had both double glazed and 6.38mm standard Vlam for noise reduction. For the $, the Vlam is a much better value proposition than double glazing.

I care about my impact on the environment, but I also care about the value I get from spending my hard-earned $. I have deciduous trees shading my north-facing windows in summer, and letting in the sun in winter.. minimal E/W facing windows and no south-facing windows. :) Decent window treatments (curtains/blinds etc) also have a big impact on heat transfer via windows.

I don't disagree that Low E glass is better than regular.. I just don't see the value in it for a new-build house when you have lots of options for energy efficiency ideas. In high-rise buildings where it's difficult to shade the windows it makes sense.

12. Scott No Mates

Unfortunately the regulators don't even require minimal energy efficiency standards for density development.

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2017
    Phase2 likes this.
  13. Westminster

Ok so the end result is that I went with the ComfortPlus Low E glass.

One of the deciding factors is that we aren't using curtains and pelmets which I know are an excellent way to keep heat in but I just don't want that look. We'll have plantation shutters which are good but not as effective.

14. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Low e isn't great at keeping heat in though. More suited to keeping it out