VIC Virginia Park (Bentleigh East)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jujaro, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jujaro

jujaro New Member

Hi Guys

This is my first post in this forum. I am looking to buy my first PPOR in Melbourne. My wife and I have been checking suburbs/prices and we think we could afford a unit in Bentleigh East. We like the area so we are starting with inspections. Some of the places we have seen are near Virginia Park, and then, some days ago I read about this:

https://urban.melbourne/planning/2015/05/13/virginia-park-looms-large-horizon

A development in Virginia Park with around 4000 apartments is being planned. I think this would seriously change the area and put pressure on schools capacity, public transport, traffic etc. and therefore affect prices.

The council rejected the plan some days ago (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...ommercial-1-zone/story-fngnvli9-1227452365389), but for sure the developer will try again. And the council/residents will try again to stop it.

I don't know anything about the legal capacity/resources of big developers to impose their plans on residents/council. But since it's their land I guess they could always do something. Given the circumstances how likely do you think is that a project like this or similar could end up being built against the voice of the local community?

Thanks

2. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

It's just out of the McKinnon High School zone (Other side of East Boundary Rd). 4000 is a massive development, I think it will happen but be much smaller in size. Good facilities around there too with the new pool/sports complex GESAC.

If I was buying in that area, I'd want to be closer to the train station ~ 800m distance from it.