VIC Villa/Townhouse in Nunawading vs Ringwood vs Ringwood East PPOR <$600k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by CloudStrife, 10th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Member

Hi Everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster on these forums.

I’m a first home buyer looking for a PPOR in the South East / Eastern suburbs and since I’m looking for a 2 bed, 1 bathroom villa/townhouse with a garage and within walking distance to a train station, I seem to be limited to the Nunawading, Mitcham, Ringwood and Ringwood East areas. Don’t really want to go further than that as commute time to the city is a factor, would ideally want to keep it under 40min by train in the mornings.

I work in the South East and frequently travel to the city for work so areas in the Northern and Western suburbs aren’t on my radar.

Aiming for a property under $600k to make the most of the first home buyer stamp duty concession.

Capital gain on this property is more important than rental yield on this property as I plan to live in it long term and sell when upgrading.

Alternatively I could find an old apartment in the SE suburbs that meet my criteria (some even incl. a garage) but I doubt I’d get the same growth as a villa/townhouse in the areas mentioned in the beginning of this post.

Just looking for anyone’s thoughts on all of this, I’m heavily limiting myself to certain areas because of villa/townhouse and <$600k requirement. Would it be better to ignore the benefits of buying at 600k or under and continue saving for a larger deposit and aim for a $800-900k home in a “better” suburb in a few years time? Or buy a place that meets my requirements now in one of those suburbs.

My other question was relating to Nunawading, Ringwood and Ringwood East - I’ve found places in all these suburbs that tick all the boxes (few in Nunawading, much more in Ringwood) and wondering purely for capital gains on a villa/townhouse, which would yield the highest? Assuming all else equal (floor size, etc.).

Ringwood used to have a negative stigma attached to it a few years ago but doesn’t seem to be the case anymore - is this a decent suburb nowadays?

Hoping to hear people’s thoughts on all of this :)

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

These days IMHO Ringwood would be better because:
    • Eastland
    • Costco
    • Ringwood Square (Aldi, Coles, Bunnings)
    • Last of the Belgrave/Lily lines combined + Ringwood origination trains (seats!!)
    Nuna has no major shops except Bunnings (unless you buy lots of cars and furniture....)

The Y-man

korando1234 likes this.
  3. The Y-man

Did you check near Westall Stn? It's changed a lot.

The Y-man

4. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Member

I didn’t - I haven’t considered anything from Clayton and further because pretty much everyone I speak to tells me to avoid it.

But now that you mention it, I’ll have a look and take a drive down there to check out the area and side streets!

5. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Member

Lots more choice in Ringwood as well, I think I just need to avoid anything with 200m or so of the highway and I should easily find what I’m looking for.

Thanks for the quick replies Y-man!

6. The Y-man

Look I'm the first to admit something like this looks like car wreck central
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-clayton+south-133380654
    but it is cheap....

The part that has been seriously redone (and priced accordingly) is just behind the station
    Botanic, Summer, Evergreen, Indigo

So my bet is the gentrification will ripple out.

Caution: I own an IP in the area since 2015, but not walking distance to Stn (closer to the Heatherton end).

The Y-man

7. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Member

Haha, that is cheap!

Makes sense, I’ll keep an eye out. May be able to pick up something better within my budget.

Capital gains in this area should be higher than Ringwood

8. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

Hey CloudStrife,

Did some analysis on a DIY property data platform using your search criteria. It says you have the following options :

RingWood East - 2 bed townhouse (median price $ 626k)
    RingWood - 2 bed townhouse (median price $ 623k)
    Chelsea - 2 bed house ($600k)
    Noble Park
    • 3 bed townhouse ($601k)
    • 2 bed townhouse ($491k)
    Dandenong
    • 3 bed townhouse ($530k)
    • 3 bed house ($620k)
    Clayton - 2 bed townhouse ($556k)
    Boronia
    • 3 bed house ($627k)
    • 3 bed townhouse ($585k)
    Bayswater and Highett are also okay.

js1111 likes this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thats damn nice for the price, i notice that all the corners of the rooms are yellow, do you think thats cosmetic or structural, almost looks like cigarettes or glue from old wall paper

10. The Y-man

What your data platform doesn't tell you are the really important things considered by people who actually live there.

For example, I specifically said Ringwood, not Ringwood East as the Belgrave and Lilydale lines split at Ringwood. It means on the outbound trip from the City, you can catch any one of Belgrave, Lilydale or Ringwood train.

Secondly, Ringwood originates its own trains (i.e. the journey starts there) which can (almost) guarantee you a seat in the inbound peak. It also means that there is still a chance of getting a seat at Mitcham Stn (but NOT at Nunawading).

Westall over NP is the same reason.
    You can get outbound peak on 4 different trains - Packy, Cranny, Dandy or Westall (yes Westall is a terminus and origination point)

Westall also originates its own trains (and they are express Caul to SY like all the other inbounds) which again almost guarantees a seat in inbound peak. It also possible to grab a seat at Clayton for this reason.

Clayton Stn of course has other attractions like the asian shopping strip, and importantly Monash Medical precinct (huge employment and tenant generator)

The Y-man

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2020
    Anthony Leong and sqe like this.
  11. The Y-man

Good point - looks like it has/had a leak in the kitchen ceiling. At least it's single storey so easy to find/fix....

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

Good pickup on DDG and BW by the way - I thought they were outside the 40 min range - but spot on!

Whether the OP wants to live there or not is a different question :D - some pretty fearsome reputations both of them (along with Boronia)

The Y-man

Ben JH likes this.
  13. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, Y-man. It's something we have thought of alot. We can always develop the platform to include more details but it usually leads to "overfitting" to our model and reduced options.

CloudStrife/Y-man, would you say seats on the train is a must-have? Or would you trade it for other factors such as distance to supermarket, cheaper, parks, bigger space?

14. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

Yea, safety is an interesting factor. No one wants to live in suburbs with a bad rep but sometimes they are only ones that have the affordability and convenience. OP will need to evaluate and consider trade-off, unfortunately.

15. The Y-man

Good question.

It's a "nice to have" that you trade off on price for investing - much harder/different decision for PPOR IMHO as things like schools, community etc come into play too For example, I know those who will prioritise school zone, then price, then everything else.

The Y-man

kmrr likes this.
  16. The Y-man

I think anthropological factors are *very* important.

One thing about living in Melbourne is that (rightly or wrongly) you can identify places associated with certain communities (by the way, we have debated on another thread whether Boganism deserves an anthropological classification in its own right)

The Y-man

17. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Member

Thanks for this Ben - it is really helpful!
    I've kinda automatically disregarded Noble Park and Dandenong because of their bad reputation (perceived or real).

Bayswater was originally on my list but once I started scouting the area a bit it seemed too industrial for my liking. There are decent size places within my budget around there but I don't think I'd be happy staying there.

Highett is on my list but haven't found anything within my budget. There are a few that come up every now and then but they seem to sell pretty quick and for over 600k easily :(

Clayton is something I said I would consider if I don't really find what I want in Nunawading, Mitcham, Ringwood or Ringwood East - there are definitely some good places there.

This is true. I won't really be taking the train everyday though so I think I could relax some of these (time on train, distance from city, etc.) requirements a bit.

A lot of my likes or dislikes towards suburbs are anecdotal. But I need to be more objective when looking at places

No not a 100% must have - I would trade it for bigger space, etc. BUT I'm thinking forward to 10 years down the line when I would want to sell it (or maybe rent it out, I need to read Terrys tax tips in detail still) and capital gains is important.

Ringwood seemed like it is the right balance so that's what I've been seriously considering recently. Two properties in that suburb that meet my requirements are:

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-ringwood-134833306

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-ringwood-134784770

True!

18. The Y-man

Great place if you want to work on your car and "test" it on weekends..... :D:D:D @datto sort of place.

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  19. The Y-man

20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ I’ll have check the place out. Is there a Maccas? (Has to be) and a quiet long street in which a quarter mile points can be painted on the road?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia