VIC Views on Reservoir?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ria, 19th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ria

Ria Active Member

I'm looking for a unit on Barton st, Reservoir. Is this part of Reservoir safe? I heard mix views about this area. Are there any housing commission units around this area particularly around this street?. I would be really thankful if someone from the area can share their experiences.

Thank you
    Ria

2. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

There are no formal maps of commission housing released, but yes there is a lot around reservoir station. Whether its on your street or the one next door makes little difference.

As someone with recent experience living there; yes it is higher crime and you will hear more police sirens (and the helicopter circling relatively frequently). I've once had something stolen from a car parked in the street, and you would never leave belongings just lying on your front lawn. Some people don't like walking from the train station at night, personally i have never had problems with this but the same can be said for pretty much any station.

Townhouses (especially newer ones) should be safer than old houses because of the density and improved security of newer windows and doors.

In short, its a lower socio-economic area on a slow path to gentrification, battling with higher levels of council housing. Its not going to be like living in Fairfield, but have a few smarts about yourself and you will be fine. For the cost to live there I am happy enough, means i can put my money to good use elsewhere.

Ria likes this.
  3. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

6% of houses on the Eastern side of Barton Street are public housing.
    4% on the Western side.
    The majority of council housing is on the Eastern side of Cheddar Road.
    [​IMG]

Ria likes this.
  4. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected - @Jake Milne where did you get the map?

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@Ria there's many parts to reservoir from the oakhill estate to the merrilands estate.

Buying around the station is good as there is a big rejuvenation plan and they are also looking to fix the terrible railroad crossings.

the biggest is 12,000sqm of housing commission

Strathmerton Estate
    comprising:
    23 - 55 Strathmerton,
    Reservoir
    25 Fordham Avenue,
    Reservoir
    34, 35 Lane Crescent,
    Reservoir
    44, 47 Whitelaw Street,
    Reservoir
    66, 69 Marchant Avenue,
    Reservoir
    106 Royal

Yes one off broadway at the corner of boldrewood solf for 1.15 mil.

upload_2018-2-19_17-12-43.png

having housing commission housing is not that bad if they are not all grouped together.
    Even Ascot Vale has if not the largest size housing commissions all group in one section yet houses still rank in the millions

Don't think it is considered low socio economic areas anymore even the ex housing comm houses that were 500K are regularly sold for 700-800K so not sure what kind of wages ppl would need to be earning to purchase those.

protocol, couq and Ria like this.
  6. Ria

Ria Active Member

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. I have been renting in Coburg for a long time, but can't afford to buy there.
    I really appreciate all the information you have provided.

Thanks

7. val

val Well-Known Member

Try Pascoe Vale?

8. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

I’m seeing a lot of activity in Hadfield, Preston and Gowanbrae for clients that can’t afford Coburg and Brunswick.

paulF likes this.
  9. Ria

Ria Active Member

I went to couple of auctions there, but couldn't find anything decent in my budget.

10. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

I grew up in Reservoir, Barton St is fine. Close to the Shops and train station and not to close to the Merrilands estate. Most of the commission flats are on the other side of the railway near Cheddar Rd. Thats the side I grew up on (parents still live there) and its fine. I think you hear a lot more about Reservoir as its such a large suburb.

couq likes this.
  11. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Echoing @KateAshmor's sentiments above. been living in Hadfield for 3 years now and lots been happening lately with a fair bit of new builds. Few apartment blocks too in the making around the place and still kind of affordable...

13. couq

couq Well-Known Member

I agree that Reservoir is a big suburb with many subcategories but feel it has great value and potential. Reservoir's railway crossing is up there with the worse with many intersections. This splits up much of West and East Reservoir. Once this is done with plans to integrate both sides Reservoir still has great potential.

Also in terms of locality and price it's still very affordable with just being over 10 km from the city with 3 train stations. Houses are now going for 1million + and even old commission homes are going for 800,000+ from 500,000 as Melbournian has said. Barton St is pretty central to the station so could have great potential but you will need to do your own research!

14. melbournian

for those who think it is low socio economic - think Ashwood and Chadstone (and drive there -those ex-housing comm are like 1+ mil now) and you will prob think you are in some parts of reservoir as they're really just the same product build in those times.

15. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I have IP at Preston and Reservoir. When I went down to Melbourne last year, I noticed that Reservoir is still long way from being gentrified compared to Preston, even though they are next door to each other. Hopefully there will be new shopping developments there as Reservoir still has great potential given the distance from Cbd.

16. melbournian

@kamchatsky I think you can't paint the whole of reservoir as being not gentrified - there are pockets such in the oakhill estate (like oakhill, northernhay, southernhay and storey road) that look like they are in Camberwell or Malvern, tree lined areas. which are in the millions.

There are places like even Northcote, thornbury and Preston that are still ungentrified and to mention Richmond as well. End of the day - like the thornburys, northcotes before - the prices are up

17. willister

willister Well-Known Member

The houses are the same, came from the Holmesglen factory but definitely not the surroundings. I think Ashwood, Chadstone and Ashburton gentrified much quicker due to being buffered by more affluent suburbs - East Malvern, Burwood, Mount Waverley etc.

I also find Chadstone has no real decent "centre" to speak of that people can hang out - there really is only a small shopping strip on Warrigal Road, it has somewhat helped in reducing the crime rate in Chadstone.

Chadstone is a nice place to live and safe - I almost run after dark most nights around the block. Having said that there are still a few questionable characters around but definitely much more gentrified than the early 2010s when I moved here.

18. melbournian

welcome back - for the reservoir post. Forget affluence - You should have bought in man - they're now edging to 800-900K and so is Heidelberg Heights and West.

19. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Haha thanks but I'm not buying....just had a third child...

20. melbournian

Congrats :) I said "should have"