ETF Views on DJRE

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Prashant Mahajan, 1st Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Prashant Mahajan

Prashant Mahajan Active Member

Any one buying DJRE? Whats your views on this? Looks good to me for global REIT exposure and good dividend yield.

2. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

There's plenty of cons (reits are tax inefficient - I'd rather no dividend hence less tax paid now, the fee is relatively high, REITs are considered a proxy for small cap value and "junky"credit, etc.). But I bought 3 months ago.

I split 50/50 DJRE and REIT, which is essentially the same but currency hedged. It won't make up a huge % of my portfolio, but the two will combine for 10% overall. If you can put them in a low tax environment that's preferred.

3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

DJRE (REITS) have low correlation with large cap equities found in ASX and S&P500 for example. For that diversification it can be considered worth holding.

DJRE is the REIT I use in my portfolio, but that doesn't mean it is the right one for you.

Relative to other indexes it hasn't recovered as well post-COVID. Mean reversion theory implies it has more potential at the moment.

Future reality is unknown.

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Be nice if it gets back to previous highs

upload_2020-12-2_15-7-57.png

Assets Under Management as of 01 Dec 2020 AUD $336.62 M

upload_2020-12-2_15-12-31.png

5. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Does it? From just a casual observation I perceived a high correlation which is what put me off looking into DJRE (and IFRA) too much.

Are you talking theory or what you have observed? As I said I haven’t been looking hard so I’m probably wrong, so interested in your observations.

6. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

The correlation is typically moderate, but like most equity assets approaches 1 during major crashes. But not every time, it boomed during the tech wreck while USA markets collapsed. The last two major crashes have been either caused by real estate (GFC) or directly impact it (office buildings anyone?) so the synchronized drop makes sense. Look at asset quilts, understand that REITs are very high volatility, and make your own decision. I like them as a modest part of my portfolio for SANF in case of a tech wreck repeat and the hope of a diversification free lunch.

Greedo likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.