Travel & Holidays Vietnam here I come

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Shahin_Afarin, 6th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

So I'm travelling to Vietnam first week of September for 4 days and quite excited as its my first time there - I'm going to be staying at the Intercontinental hotel and have limited time so want to get the most out of the time I have.

At this stage I'm "things to do list" is pretty tragic:

1. Try Pho

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Azazel and Redom like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Pho there is the same as here.

But what isn't are those those pork rolls they sell at the bakery. The ones they sell there are a little different and worth trying.

3. Jimmy Foxx

Jimmy Foxx Member

Try bia hoi, locally made beer made fresh each night, more in the north but can be found in most parts. Awesome sitting on the street at night chugging a few with the locals.

Shahin_Afarin likes this.
  4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Where are you going?

Choice Aggregation held a broker conference in HCMC last year - it was a lot of fun.

Bun cha gio is what you want to eat - I love that stuff. It's become my Friday ritual to grab a bowl of it from the local Vietnamese place.

Cheers

Jamie

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If your going to HCM, crossing any major road (eg the roundabout in front of Ben Thanh) is an adventure - I nearly got killed!!

The Y-man

6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Try a scorpion on a stick

7. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

These are commonly know as 'scorpsicles'. If the vendor gives you a strange look after you ask for one, like 'What the hell is a scorpsicle?' don't worry about it, just shout 'I WOULD LIKE A SCORPSICLE' really loudly and really slowly. Preferably with an American accent. They'll understand the second time, for sure.

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

yeah id be hurting the banh mi. just follow your nose and eyes, ask locals for tips, avoid the foreign filled joints at all times.

international rules for travelling

9. The Y-man

But don't buy it from the street vendors unless you have an iron stomach and immense immune system against the local bugs.......!

The Y-man

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Which city? HCMC or Hanoi? (Or somewhere else?) If you are going to Hanoi spend a day at Halong Bay - it's very pretty!

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

most of my friends havent had any problems eating off the street in vietnam, thailand or malaysia. it's indo that seems to get people, in particular bali.

if something is hot youre generally fine, obviously this isnt the case with banh mi but if a place has enough turnover the stuff should be ok

going to SEA and not eating off the street would be a sin imo

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If you're going to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), go check out the food stalls in Ben Thanh Market. Pretty good tasting.

Also, Pho Ga (chicken) is more popular over there and taste better than Pho Bo (Beef).

As for crossing the road, its not that bad. Just walk at normal place, stop in the middle of road, and the motorcycles will avoid you. That said, cars won't, so stay out of the way of cars :)
    Tip: Cross when other people cross and you'll be fine.

Seeing its not until September, get a CitibankPlus card if you don't already have one. There are several Citibank ATM's around (one at Saigon airport). Last month when i went there I used the Citibank ATM, the rate I got was better than the rate shown on XE.com. I made of a profit of 49 cents! Score!

Taxi's are dirt cheap, but don't get suckered by the dodgy ones waiting at the airport. Look for MaiLinh or VinaSun taxis (if you're in Saigon). When we landed in Saigon, this guy approaches us and flashes his taxi card telling us he's a Vinasun driver. I asked him where his taxi was, he said in the parking lot, so i knew he dodge. Still I played along, i asked him how much to District 1, he said $60 USD, I said I'm going to Ben Thanh, he said ohh ok $25 USD. Real cost was $150k Dong or $9 AUD. Me and my wife played it safe and prepaid a private car @ $220,000 dong instead ($13 AUD) because we didn't want to start our trip on a bad experience.

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Also, we didn't end up booking tours with these people (we had a 18 month old with us), but they are rated quite highly on tripadvisor.

We did speak to the guy on the phone and he quite helpful and spoke very good english.

https://xotours.vn/

14. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

When I was in Saigon highlights were ... Apocalypse Now bar (late), American War Crimes museum, grilled snake at a restaurant, multi day tour of Mekong delta.

15. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Shahin, we'll send you an email with our recommendations. Remind me next week if we still haven't done so.

16. Gockie

Talking about taxi trips... I went back to the airport on the back of a guys motorbike. What about luggage I hear you ask? No worries. He transported my large suitcase in the gap front of him between his body and the handlebars. He could hardly see over it... but overloading motorbikes is not uncommon in Vietnam. 5 person families would often travel on 1 bike... anyway, my airport transport was very cheap...

17. Shahin_Afarin

Yep staying @ HCMC. Not keen on testing out my stomach with Scorpins and what not.

More interested in checking out some historical and architectural sites.

The American War Crimes museum sounds good so will check it out.

18. Gockie

Go visit Cuchi tunnels... war is so sad...

19. Shahin_Afarin

I heard about the tunnels but forgot what they were called - will check it out.

20. The Y-man

Yeah, but it's the fact they drive on the "wrong side" of the road :p I always end up looking the wrong way before I step out. Thanks God most street in HCM are one way!

The time I nearly got killed, I did follow someone out... except he stopped mid cross, I almost kept going.... lucky he shouted at me to stop!!

The Y-man