Video Or Paper Inspection Reports?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by 13728, 1st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 13728

13728 Member

Hi Everyone, Happy Thursday!

I am currently looking at changing the way we conduct Inspection's and would like to introduce real time videos and therefore would love to hear some feedback.

If you lived in a different state to your investment property would you like the option to be able to do a virtual tour of your investment??? this is for both routine inspections and vacate inspections, or would you prefer to just receive an email with the report and some photos?

I believe real-time inspections would provide my clients the opportunity to see the property first hand, it makes understanding any repairs easier and most importantly it shows you the exact condition of your property providing complete transparency.

Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance. Maz

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Unless your agent is really good at it youll end up with headache inducing video.

GapPhantom and 13728 like this.
  3. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Why not both? Why not provide a video in addition to the written report?

13728 likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If I were a tenant, I wouldn't be comfortable with this. In fact I probably wouldn't be very comfortable with any photos of my possessions without asking specific permissions first.

To give this some context, I do have a home office and occasionally I work on clients documents which might be captured by a photo or video.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. 13728

13728 Member

QUOTE="Peter_Tersteeg, post: 531447, member: 42"]If I were a tenant, I wouldn't be comfortable with this. In fact I probably wouldn't be very comfortable with any photos of my possessions without asking specific permissions first.

To give this some context, I do have a home office and occasionally I work on clients documents which might be captured by a photo or video.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Peter, Of course permission is crucial. I have this discussion with the tenants and get their consent in writing prior to them moving in.

6. 13728

13728 Member

Thanks JDM, something to consider

JDM likes this.
  7. 13728

13728 Member

Thanks Trainee, I only have a small rent roll so hopefully i won't get to many headaches.

8. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Member

Hi Maz, I’ve never done real time routine or vacate inspection video but often do a walk through video in between tenancies while updating the condition report (for owners who live interstate/overseas). My experience is that (especially) landlords who used to live in the property and have an emotional connection to it really appreciate such a video.

9. 13728

13728 Member

Thanks Nikoletta :)

10. GapPhantom

GapPhantom Active Member

I think he's referring to the fact 99% of people take videos that give headaches...

There is an art to taking videos of value! Move slowly is the first key! A video is simple 25 pictures taken every second, but tell a story in the process!

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

In my experience, I've found that even when tenants give consent to have their property thoroughly photographed, they're often uncomfortable with it, so I personally wouldn't use this idea for routine inspections. I also can't think of a single one of my clients who would bother watching a fifteen minute inspection video of their house, I don't think any of them even read the reports unless I call with problems.

I have been investigating videos and 3D photography for entry and exit inspections AND of course, marketing! As far as the entry and exit inspections, I haven't seemed to figure out a way to cheaply and quickly put together a video with a high enough resolution to be more beneficial than the pictures we already take.

12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

My PM started doing videos and I hate them - they take too long to watch compared to reading a report.
    Also hard to access, poor quality and frustrating. Yours might be different though.

I now get normal old reports which I much prefer.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Most inspection aps include video. I prefer photos

14. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Not interested

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia