Victoria’s assisted dying Bill passes key upper house vote

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 24th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how pertinent the opinions of students are in regards to this. They’re furtherest away from having to consider the horrors of a slow and painful death. Interesting research though.

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

All this rubbish about a quality low pain death is bullsh*t. Most high care homes are clueless. My own mother in the end had to starve herself to death. Refused all medication, food and Water to end it all after years of suffering. A horrible way to die. We just watched my MIL die of terrible suffering from a rare lung disease. She pleaded that she couldn’t take it anymore and wanted to end it all.

If anyone did this to a pet they would have the RSPCA wanting to prosecute them. Yet every day in Australia humans are suffering worse but unlike a pet they can’t be given an injection to end the suffering by choice.

I know what I’d like to do to these anti-assisted dying idiots if ever I came face to face with one of them.

Last edited: 24th Nov, 2017
    Kassy, purplecat and Lizzie like this.
  3. pully

pully Well-Known Member

all for relieving suffering and that's the purpose of good palliative care. however that care is expensive and not everyone can access it where they live.
    really hope this medically assisted dying/killing is not going to be used because it is cheaper than skilled palliative care. presumably the Victorian model will be funded by medicare and pharmaceutical benefits scheme.
    it is comforting to some to feel they have control over their death. it can be difficult for doctors to be accurate about the timeframe to death, it sounds as if the Victorian model requires a prediction of 6 months? time will tell how this will work.

4. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

IMHO it should be less about prediction of timeframe but more of a control choice the patient has. Even if the doc says a year left, its not going to make a difference if what they call (QOL) quality of life is not there. No one wants to sit around being injected full of drugs for a year if they can end it with dignity ASAP.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Not school kids. All adults of different age groups, same range as the folks on this forum.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Me?

7. pully

pully Well-Known Member

yes the reason people with a terminable illness want a choice/control over their fate. to have true control the individual would want access to the necessary drugs at a time of their choosing.
    as it stands it still requires consent and cooperation with more than 1 medical person. of course in reality there are other options.

8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It's fantastic! But we'll all need to give it time though to get passed fully and for the bugs to be ironed out.

Euthanasia is one one thing. How you go about it is a whole new can of worms. As @Angel points out, unless you get the legislation spot on, someone will figure out how to use it outside of its intended purpose.

Expect a few stories to make the news over the next few years, a bit of outrage and legislative tweaking.

Overall I think it will be a good thing but passing the legislation is only the first part of a long process....hopefully they've got it sorted by the time it's my turn!

9. jaybean

Do you have a secular reason for this?

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If someone works in healthcare, they're doing themselves out of a job :rolleyes:

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm asking Nodrog if he is calling me an idiot.

12. jaybean

I suppose it would depend on the reasons, hence my question.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Having watched several relatives die horrible and prolonged deaths over the years, I am fully supportive of assisted dying at the request of the sufferer - including an uncle forced to starve and dehydrate himself to death when in the final stages of motor neurone disease, and a sister in law in agony after a rare abdominal cancer had consumed her entire digestive system (stomach, bowel, intestines) to the point she was vomiting up her own waste products as they had nowhere else to go.

Why could these people not chose to die with dignity and when they are ready to go.

Not sure why someone would suggest an induced coma as a method of relieving pain ... when you have a terminal illness, it's terminal ... there is no coming back or being woken up when all is well.

Seriously guys - it's a one way trip so dragging out the horrific suffering won't prevent the end result

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nothing truer - when mum told me after her last turn that she is DNR, it strikes you hard but you come to realise that it is her decision and I'll back it.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hmm well imo I'm not really sure anyone asking for an 'early' death is an 'easy' option tbh. Many people have tolerance to pain to differing levels. I think its more the hopelessness and total deprivation of quality of living that makes most of these people come to that thought process of wanting to end it with some semblance of dignity left.

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2017
  16. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I have just been through this dying process with a family member and I can tell you that they can manage pain very well to the end. Without palliative care this would have been much, much harder. My family member did lose the will to live when the pain was not managed. It was managed well in palliative care. I only wish you and yours the blessing of good care and comfort.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your family member. Hopefully they have found some peace now.

18. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am sure they have peace now.