Victoria rental laws reform,

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by KinG3o0o, 7th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The reforms mean its now very important for landlords to have LL insurance and a great PM. Poorly managed properties will cost owners.

Lil Skater and pully like this.
  3. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see how the blacklist idea will actually play out.
    Hopefully both sides can put forward their views as to what happened when they are put on the blacklist.

4. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

What counts as.minor changes?

5. Ricki barkham

Insurance only covers malicious damage.
    Not.if.walls were painted pink on purpose.
    Amd does.the tennet have.to put it back to was it was qhen they leave?

Does this mean we can increse.the bond to cover any changes we dont approve and do t like.

6. pully

pully Well-Known Member

Briefly read the new legislation, new terms no longer landlord or tenant.
    Talking about 5 year leases? Landlord insurances will need to be adjusted to reflect changes?
    Blacklists for landlords/property managers interesting who will maintain and monitor and be accountable for accuracy?
    VCAT will need to be well resourced to cope with changes and new requirements.

7. Ricki barkham

allowing for modifications that do not require a landlord’s consent.

Who would give open concent for this?

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Personally I think they'll be less residential tenancy work for them after the amendments go through.

Why do you think otherwise?

Joynz likes this.
  9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I think there's going to be a higher turnover of tenancies, I've said that repeatedly I know - but it's true.

They still haven't clarified the minor mods beyond "hang a picture". So much good out of these reforms, but so much that hasn't really been thought through. I did a whole big thread on quite a few of them too.

10. pully

pully Well-Known Member

Fairer Safer Housing
    Some excellent information at the link. Interested in why thatbum thinks there will be less applications to VCAT?
    1 example is the pet reform.
    Pets will be permitted unless an objection is raised within 14 days to a pet?
    Time will tell how the new laws will impact and there is always the possibility of further changes in the future.

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Because overall the amendments clarify a lot of things are were already good tenancy practice, rather than increasing the amount of potentially disputed issues

They also potentially speed up the bond disposal process, which in itself will probably reduce the amount of matters that go to VCAT.

Why do you think there will be more applications to VCAT? Because of applications to do with pets? I don't think many landlords will take that up at all.

12. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I hope tenants will have to inform the landlord they are getting a pet, now have a pet etc. And be required to detail the type, age, breed and whether the pet will reside inside or outside the house.
    Landlords need to know this if expected to lodge within 14 days.

13. Ricki barkham

I wasnt told when tennent moved in they were plsnning on getting a cat. Next inspection found out they had a can realestate said cant do anything

14. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Pet Reform=Dog Reform more like.
    How many goldfish have ever been denied?

15. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I think there will be more issuing incorrect notices to vacate, but besides that making things black and white is a GOOD thing.

The bond isn't really any change, we have 10 business days to release it - just means tenants won't have to wait MONTHS if they've found themselves with a poor landlord or agent. Yay.

Unfortunately pets aren't currently covered, but there's still not a lot that can be done unless said pet is causing damage. I believe this will still be the case, but it's just in black and white now. I don't believe every home should be pet friendly though as some just aren't suitable, but I do love pets as well.

luckyone likes this.
  16. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Yes we have been in that situation - Pm opened the door to greet us with a cat in his arms. He also missed the oversized 'dog' poo in the backyard.
    We have rented to people with pets and without - depending on the property. I don't like that I am losing my right to decide this.
    Recently we were approached by someone who needed to move house. They told us they had a dog - we offered them the property that we were happy to have a pet in.

17. Ricki barkham

The first renters we had wanted to get a rabbit and the pm called me to ask if it was ok since they hadnt had one when they mived in.
    My 2 stipulations were they repair and damage and get fumagate the place professionally when they leave.

They accepted no problems.

2nd tennents moved in and found out a year later they had a dog and destroyed the back yard. They also left me with a 16k bill for damages inside the house.

3rd people got a cat that i disscussed in earlyer post.

Would have just been nice to ask since we spend money on new carpets and timber flooring and new paint job.

18. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Pet resistant houses are going to get more popular for investors in the future. Industrial flooring throughout, heavy duty laminate cabinetry.

I generally find most tenants with pets to be very careful about how they take care of the house because they don't want to be thrown out. Problem is getting rid of the bad ones just became harder.

craigc, luckyone and Lil Skater like this.
  19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Great agents who diligently document property condition on entry and on departure with HD images. Also LL insurance to cover the inadequate bond when there are pets seems like sensible strategies. Although I question if resulting pet damage is covered......

20. Ricki barkham

Maybe they should double the bond