VIC - What's required to create an additional bedroom in a unit

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Melbpositivegeared, 16th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

I'm looking at purchasing a block of units- the floor plan is ideal to put an extra wall up and convert each one bedder into a 2 bedder.

Do I need permits? Do I need to consider anything different when it's a unit as opposed to a house (I own all)

Aside from actually adding the wall itself what other expenses do I need to consider? Permits?

If I then want to sell it or officially lease it as a 2 bedder does this change anything?

2. dmo

dmo Active Member

sounds like something the council would want to know about, if not for anything other than rates..

I am confused by your post a little, you mentioned 'block of units' and also (i own all), implying multiple units, but then go on to say "by adding the wall" and "if I then want to sell it" implying only the one.

I may have confused myself here, but is it a bunch of separate units, with each of them having the extra wall in it to go from 1 bed into 2 bed? or your purchasing one unit in a block of units?

3. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

Sorry it's in my wording too.

I'm looking to purchase the whole block - strata title and sell some off.

So in the example I would start off owning the whole lot (meaning I am the body corp - no concern getting this across the line)

Whatever I do would need to be completely legal as I would like to be able to sell some off as 2 bedders and definitely list them for rent as 2 bedders too