VIC - Wallan: Advantages/disadvantages of a corner block

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Nik P., 15th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nik P.

Nik P. Member

Hey all,

I am interested in obtaining my PPOR soon and I am wondering whether anyone has any insight as to potential advantages/disadvantages of purchasing a corner block. It's in suburbia and so there is no 'risk' of major traffic in that area.

Thank you,

Nik

2. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

sucks to live in as noise of 2 streets, lack of privacy as twos sides facing the rd, lack of back yard and a bit dangerous with coming in and out.

However as an investment or development may work as overshadowing two rds so less issues there and set back could be a little more relaxed

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Check the set backs with council.

You may need to keep part of your side fence low (a few metres each side) to allow visibility for people turning the corner.

You will need to pay for the side boundary fence replacement in future yourself as no neighbour.

You might get more light into the house. Less cramped feeling.

Can you choose which side to make the front of the house/entry?

4. timthetoolman

timthetoolman Member

For some reason there's always been a stigma with corner blocks and I've never known why? I grew up on a corner block and loved the double access. Nowadays we get older people looking for these sort of blocks so they can have access for caravans etc...
    If you can do the double street address with any design requirements on new estates then it's not an issue.
    They will always be the last blocks available in estates too, which means generally they're of a decent price for the size. I've even designed homes specifically for corner blocks as developers struggle to get rid of them.
    If you're in Wallan, one of my designs sits on the main street of Spring Ridge Estate. It was a 9-star energy rated split level which I had opened by the Minister of the Environment at the time!