[VIC] Solar power for renters

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by S.T, 8th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Hi guys, Dan Andrews has just announced he'll allow renters to get solar power in a similar deal to the other one sponsoring half the cost to home owners - election promise so he still needs to win at the end of the month.

For this deal, landlords will pay 1/4 of the cost and renters the other 1/4 through their rent and a levy, so it might only cost us 1/4 as landlords, so might be more paperwork with the levy fee. It also mentions this will be available to owners corporations, they just need to prove that the savings will go to renters.

It's pretty big news and I can think of a few of my properties that this would look attractive for.
    I'm thinking this might be under new long term leases and be interesting to see what happens if a tenant leaves before paid off etc. More details below.

RENTERS TO BENEFIT FROM LABOR’S SOLAR PANELS PLAN

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So what tenant would sign a four year deal when most leases are only for 12 months? An unscrupulous landlord could either kick them out or increase the rent dramatically.
    Marg

3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I guess have to wait for the finer details, it might even allow the tenant the savings in electricity that outweigh the additional payments in rent. The solar panel payments may just transfer to a new tenant if the old leaves.