Vic - Gas Heater Carbon Monoxide Test Required Every 2 Years?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Anthony Brew, 12th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

o_O

2. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Not sure why jumping on the soap box is warranted - hope it made you feel better?

Read the attachment. The PM has stated that tenants should stop using these specific heater types immediately. This is not just a general reminder that getting your heaters checked is a good idea and that it should be done every 2 years - it is the PM stating these heaters are NOT to be used until checked.

If I had one of these types of heaters - is it my job to ring the tenant and tell them to stop using it OR is it the PMs job? (Rhetorical Question)

At no point have I questioned the servicing of heaters.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would have expected the agent to have contacted the tenant immediately to make sure they stopped using the heater if it was one of those brands. They would also have to contact you to let you know what had happened, either way.

I wonder if the PM is afraid that the tenant might make a mistake with the brand and the PM would be liable if the tenant got sick?

It looks like the PM just reused the official warning and it might have come across strangely because of that.

When you contacted the PM about this, what did they say?

4. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Look to buy CO alarms also, they're relatively cheap now with 10 year batteries. Check with the manufacturer of then heater about servicing costs and what services intervals they recommend, you might be pleasantly surprised. Get heaters serviced in the middle of summer, you might find it's actually quite a bit cheaper.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  5. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I agree, PM should know what’s in the property (or look it up/ask tenants). Personally didn’t send out a notice to any clients of mine because no properties under my management actually have these heaters ;)

6. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Good point about servicing costs in summer.
    Interesting re- co alarms. Just saw a couple online for $50.

7. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Joynz - I didn't contact them because we don't have those heaters.

8. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

You are a thorough PM though. :)

Lil Skater likes this.
  9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Its always to good to know exactly what sort and type of appliances you have in your investment properties.
    Virtually all mobile phones come with a camera and flash , take heaps of pictures, especially of things like ovens ,pumps ,water heaters and the name plates with all the specs and model numbers over them.
    We constantly see recall notices in the newspapers and on T.V/internet and having access to pictures of the model numbers makes life really easy ,at the end of the day the buck stops with me, especially around issues like fire safety, electrical safety and heaters , the managing agent would have no idea about model numbers and probably not even know what brand we have.
    Many older homes that have gas heaters may not even be fitted with vents at ground level and one higher up.
    Its odorless and it puts you to sleep, but because people generally use these heaters at night, and you get sleepy at night , the symptoms can go completely unnoticed.

For many states its mandatory to have 2 vents , and in my opinion its up to the owner of the property to be aware of these issues especially if you are providing goods or services for a fee.
    With access to the internet its a pretty easy these days to get information, and from time to time it gets coverage on the news related programs.

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Unflued heaters all emit O2 and can kill.

Or a tenant with a Weber who lights it inside a garage on a wet day.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.