Vic Exodus

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Boss, 13th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Nov, 2021
    datto likes this.
  2. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

All the Dan lovers are cute. *sitting neutral* He has made countless errors. If that was you or anyone else you know you'd soon be.... unemployed.

Dan has absolutely ripped the culture out of this place. Has he done a good job? Questionable. If we didn't have QE infinity~ Dan would be no longer.

So really at the end of the day ~ Jerome Powell saved us from coronavirus. Is this not how it works?

[​IMG]

I honestly don't think Jerome Powell gets enough appreciation on this forum. He single handily made all of us 'haves' rich. Forget the RBA boss Phillip Bear.

Going back to the point in question:

The Exodus will continue.

You see this virus has turned into restriction. Do people actually think they'll be able to freely travel in the near future?

MTR likes this.
  3. El Patron

El Patron Well-Known Member

And here lies the problem of the last century:
    Individual rights vs the collective good.

It appears the vast majority of people in the Western world are all for individual rights, but sprinkle some uncertainty like COVID and some of those people will flip and want the state to provide them with security and tell them what is best. Human psychology is a hell of a thing when people are afraid.

If one wants protection from Covid:
    - Wear a mask
    - Wash your hands
    - Get vaccinated
    - Eat healthy
    - Exercise

Lockdowns made some sense during a global pandemic prior to vaccination, but now it no longer makes sense. People have the free opportunity to protect themselves best through the vaccine, they have the right as an individual to not get it. I personally think anyone who is in the high risk group that doesn't get the vaccine is a brain dead idiot, but I'd never want a vaccine forced on them - In the same I wouldn't want the state to force obese people to become healthy. Individual responsibility is key.

Blaming COVID mutations on people who "demand rights and freedoms" is just projecting your idea of the collective good being the superior choice. COVID will continue to mutate and COVID will not be eliminated; this is irrespective of your preference for collectivism.

What's I find most concerning is people's right to protest were being labelled "super spreader" events, despite the fact that we've known since February 2020 that outdoor transmission is practically non-existent. Just had a quick google, I still can't find a single protestor that contracted COVID19 during any of the protests.

Last edited: 16th Nov, 2021
    MTR likes this.
  4. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Ok, we got it - you don't like Dan. I'm sure Dan is devastated and cry into the pillow at night.

But can you than propose a solution? How would you do it? A working example that there is any other way?
    I asked my friends who are Dan haters the same question and they constantly avoid answering.
    Sure, you can say Dan is the root of all evil and should be sacked or worse, but none of you have any other / better solution.
    The world has tried everything, from staying open (didn't work) to closing down hard (didn't work).
    COVID kinda stuffed everyone, everywhere.

The only difference is how many people died.

Pernoi, datto, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  5. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Let it rip so we see similar results to similar populations like Florida- mass deaths, traumatised healthcare staff leaving as hospitals are overwhelmed, tens of thousands suffering with long covid symptoms, political leaders engaging in stupid anti-science rhetoric which prolongs this kind of crisis and weakens institutional trust, the mainstream promotion of alt-right stupidity without a hint of intellectual embarrassment, far less people willing to get vaccinated (again prolonging the crisis).......

Yes, Andrews didn't get everything right but imagine the dystopian nightmare Vic would be in if policy was aligned with the beliefs of his critics.

Pernoi, Lizzie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Huh?
    Individuals want individual rights.
    As society we're far from translating this to "total freedom".
    None of us is free to do what we want. We have hundreds of laws and rules to follow to keep the madness from ripping us as a group.

For some reason people equate "freedom" with "free to do what I want".
    Those are two different things.
    "Freedom" is always within the guidelines of society.
    Nothing changed with COVID.

Sure thing.
    Society has the same freedom to not want those who chose to not vaccinate to be around them, employ them, serve them, let them in, give them social benefits, provide them medical treatment should they catch the virus and struggle to breath.

Which is exactly what society does.

I personally not too phased by the mutations.
    For me the main issue is that non-vaxxed will get sicker and will use the health system resources that otherwise would be used by those who have conditions that cannot be vaccinated against.
    If non-vaccinate people would be willing to sign a waiver to allow medical teams to not treat them in the public system should they need treatment for COVID - I wouldn't care at all.

However, they don't.
    When they get sick, they run to the hospital, expecting the same treatment as those who chose to vaxx and risk themselves.

Lizzie and George Smiley like this.
  7. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

I tell you what I wouldn't do:

- I wouldn't lockup to save the boomers (this is a virus of the 50+) ~ they cry either way.

- I wouldn't have vaccine mandates but I'd allow everyone to have adequate opportunity to get vaccinated.

- I wouldn't ask people to choice between career/jab or unemployment.

- I wouldn't say im creating hundreds of hospital beds and not do it ;)

- I would accept responsibility for any errors my party or I made.

Covid is going to send melbourne into another good period of lockdown next year. I'm excited. BRRR

2FAST4U and MTR like this.
  8. El Patron

El Patron Well-Known Member

Not sure what this has to do with what you quoted.

No. Freedom is a generalized word in the context of how we live in Australia as a democratic state, and I think you know full well what people mean when I say freedom.
    Why would you assume my (or anyone else's) use of the word freedom to mean anarchy, which would the be the extreme and absolute definition of freedom that you're referencing?

This is an interesting one.
    It's one thing to tell a person who is sick that they're not allowed to come to work or walk into a store as they are actively a threat to other people's health etc. but it is another thing entirely to to refuse service or employment based on someone's medical history.

Do we have the same freedom to not wanting to hire people based on disability, race, gender, sexuality?

I'm going to assume the only logical response here is: "They are not a health threat", right?
    So what threat does an unvaccinated person have? None. They are seen as a potential threat.
    So where do you draw the line of refusing service/employment to someone who is potentially a threat? Is there a threat threshold that somehow stops at the flu but starts at COVID?

The line of thinking you have appears to be politically driven/motivated rather one based on any rationality and logic. It seems to come back to the whole idea of "collective good" but without much basis behind it.

How is: "If you only just take the vaccine" different to:
    "If only you exercised and ate healthier" for obese people
    "If only you stopped smoking" for smokers
    "If only you stopped drinking" for alcoholics
    "If only you stopped taking drugs" for drug users

If you're in favour of making non vaccinated people sign a waiver to refuse healthcare, then I can only assume you're of the opinion that anyone going down the path of a preventable disease should sign one too?

Or do you have some special reason to exclude only the unvaccinated?

MTR likes this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe if people understood what's in the Australian Constitution and was taught within the education system people would have a better understanding of their rights..

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

You said that the western world is all about individual rights, but then saying that with uncertainty they want government protection as if those are mutual exclusive.
    In fact - they are the same thing. In working society, your individual rights are protected by the government protection.

Now you are playing dumb.
    The "freedom" far-right and anti-vaxxed people are talking about is their right to ignore laws and orders and do whatever they see fit.
    Australia is not less free just cause we have lockdowns and border closure during time of crises.
    Pretty much the same way you are not less free when the SES closes the road cause there's bushfire or flood.

Herd immunity achieved if the vast majority of society is immuned.
    We all have a responsibility in society to do our part to protect everyone else.
    The anti-vaxx are taking an active stand against doing their part - hence they are labelled in a certain way.
    If you're actively going around and expose your backside, I can assure you that you'll find it hard to get service nor employment. You will be labelled "anti-social" and you will lose many of society's perks.

I love that now it's "medical history" that they try to work with.
    On normal days it might fly, but we're not in normal days.

The attempt to use the everyday sentiments while we're going through a global pandemic just won't work.
    Everybody goes through this. It effects everyone in the whole world. It's not business as usual and as such some measures and sentiments are more raw than they normally are.

Not to mention that recent research shows that non-vaxxed are more likely to get and transmit COVID.
    I haven't read the research, so I'm not sure what are the stats.

The basis is very very VERY simple: non-vaxx people are more likely to get sick and to die, meaning they will use more of the health system resources, that are needed for those who cannot vaxx or just had a really bad day and need the ICU bed.
    As society, in Australia, we made it very clear that we would like people to get the jab (~90% of us) and as such the rest of the (much less) 10% should either get on board or suffer the consequences.

If 90% of the people think it's not ok to go naked in the street, no one cares that you're the <10% who believe in free-spirit nudism - you will get arrested if you go naked in the street.
    That's life.
    Don't like it - move somewhere that has majority of people against the jab. I can recommend Florida.

Cheap argument.
    Get >90% of the people behind you on any of those statements and go from there.

BTW, there's huge tax on smokers and they are not allowed to smoke in most of the public places - exactly because the majority of the society think smoking sucks.
    Drug users are being arrested if they caught.

Yeah, I do. It's called global pandemic.

I'll be more than happy to see increased taxes on Alcohol to try to reduce the problem and taxes on fast food chains that are intentionally pushing addictive product on their consumers.

You know how many obese, alcoholic and druggies will take on a jab to help them stop the behaviour that make them suffer?
    They would give their kidney for such a jab.

But the covidiots will not take a jab that can save their and people around them life....

Lizzie likes this.
  11. zlatan9

zlatan9 Well-Known Member

Hopefully all the Victorians moving to Qld can actually start creating some proper jobs (other than govt and instructure jobs) so that the millions of other people that need a job in order to move to Qld can actually move to Qld. That's when the real migration will occur.

12. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

This thread is hilariously messy :cool:

Follow an analysis of the Pandemic Bill debate in parliament from Emily at Voice For Victoria. The debate in parliament is equally as messy :cool:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Voice4Victoria

MTR likes this.
  13. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Pity you'd rather die - than stay semi-locked down for a blink in the whole of your life, so that you can carry on healthy and enjoy the whole of your life. There are attitudes involved to - some see lockdowns as an opportunity - some see it as a burden.

No one has ever (or should have "ever") said that any vaccine stops you from getting the disease. No vaccine does this. The vaccine prepares your body's immune system so that when such disease arrives, your T cells know immediately what to do from day one and swing into action - instead of taking weeks to work out how to deal with this invasion. This means you significantly reduce your chance of getting sick - being hospitalised - passing the infection on to others - dying.

How do you think the 'flu is kept down to a dull roar each year - bought on the virtual eradication of small pox and polio and diphtheria - prevent you from getting deadly tetanus if you step on a sharp object - protect babies from deadly whooping cough - consumption (TB) is a ******* too?

I'd also rather you didn't lump 50+ as being "old". As barely over that age, I'm only half the age my grandmother was when she passed, without a single medical condition and still mentally/physically active

15. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

A lot of people are leaving Victoria and more want to but can’t due to extenuating circumstances such as family issues like divorce custodies.
    Apparently 40k have already left and QLD has gained most of them. A lot of people also want out of Australia full stop right now.
    Victoria is definitely the worst state to be in right now, with other capital cities also on watch along with what’s going down in NZ. Regionals are doing well, prices starting to challenge city prices,

16. Serveman

You can’t compare polio vaccines to Covid 19 injections.

MTR likes this.
  17. Serveman

Im looking for a nice VX Calais or Commodore for sale with low k’s or an AU series 3 sedan, what are my chances?

18. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

But despite that and extended lockdowns melbourne rose 16pct last year. Melb has the most to gain from borders opening up due to the disproportionate number of migrants and students who settle there and govt seems intent on a big immigration push. That said, one of our friends announced yesterday they are upping sticks and heading to the gc, so it is happening. And i reckon there will be a mass exodus of kiwis utterly appalled by their house prices who want to move to se qland. But there still has to be jobs based in qland, wfh or no wfh. These cant be manufactured overnight. Not everyone can work at movieworld.

Serveman likes this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The chances are pretty slim. There’s only a few of these cars on car sales .com and most are interstate.

Don’t mind the old AU Falcon. I used to drive one as a taxi and I’d give it a fanging on more than the odd occasion. Gee it went well for a 6 cylinder on LPG.

Word of mouth might be the best way to pick one up. I wouldn’t recommend an ex taxi.

Serveman likes this.
  20. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

Come on now. You know exactly why melbourne 'increased' 16%.

Exactly why it'll decrease many many %'s in real terms.
    Inflation is going to be so pretty.

MTR likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice