Vic Exodus

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Boss, 13th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Seems like Dan's "Pandemic Bill" (yet to be passed) is ruffling a few democratic feathers.

If Dan wants to push even more people out of VIC he's certainly going the right way about it though.

All good: QLD will happily accommodate the exodus from VIC. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Nov, 2021
  2. laura27

laura27 Member

I don’t envisage any kind of exodus from Vic. The anti mask / lockdown / vaccination tribe are very vocal but they are a small minority. I don’t know anyone planning to move interstate, in fact I suspect people will be likely to move back to Vic.

abc, thatbum, Cousinit and 5 others like this.
  3. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

The next few quarters of ABS interstate movement numbers will be interesting.

More net losses for VIC...

4. laura27

laura27 Member

We shall see!

5. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

craigc and MTR like this.
  6. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

For all the talk from people with an axe to grind, a good few large projects have been announced in recent weeks. Samma unveils build to rent for Docklands . Build to rent seems to be the new way: it makes far more sense to have a tower of vanilla rental units run this way rather than having hundreds of owners, all the OC overhead, a dozen or more managing agents and so on.

7. Pernoi

Pernoi Active Member

You literally couldn't add the next part of the sentence to your quote? As in you literally didn't even quote the full sentence, you put a full stop after Victoria's figures:

"The Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows Queensland gained the most people, about 7000, from net interstate migration over the March 2021 quarter, while Victoria lost the most at almost 5000, followed closely by NSW at 4500 people."

Gladys is a smart gal.

(or perhaps states that were hit hard by covid had a minor exodus and people are being dramatic)

Lizzie, geoffw, abc and 1 other person like this.
  8. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to observe the data come 12 or months from now. There will likely be a noticeable data point that will have us all arguing till the cows come home.

My take for people leaving is a few factors. The first will be those Victorians who were planning to leave doing so quicker. Another group will be those who have the financial means, and who oppose authoritarian leadership and a degrading social culture, to pack up and go. A third group - again those with financial means - who don't want to participate in a two-tier society and are possibly not wanting to vaccinate, making the move.

In saying all this, I recognize the complexities and nuance behind moving. It's basically in my blood, as all I've ever done for 20 years is move around.

I'm a Victorian about to return from OS in the next few years and hopefully stick my roots in the ground for good, but the current political situation there has me extremely worried for my family. I do not wish raise my children and to partake in a society that actively segregates individuals and coerce the population into medical procedures or they can't put food on their table. As a vaccinated individual, I want my fellow unvaccinated neighbours, friends and colleagues to know they are always welcome in my home. I guess I'm one of those deplorable anti-lockdown, anti-coercion and mask-skeptical folks everyone hates. Meh :cool:

If the pandemic bill passes and Andrews is re-elected, I may have to give up on the city I love. It burns me as all my family and friends are there. I know of others who think the same. I have an amazing home. It's distressing.

People with money have always been able to pick up and go with ease. It's the ordinary folk, a class I was always part of until I made my way in the world and made my money, who are stuck and subject to rising authoritarianism in Victoria who I feel sorry for.

This post went further than expected and maybe I wore my heart on my sleeve more than I planned, but here it is (until deleted by mods) :D:p

Peace.

Toon, Citycat88, Codie and 6 others like this.
  9. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

The political climate in VIC is indeed distressing...and as per usual...the ordinary folk will fare much worse than those with means :(

Hamish84 and MTR like this.
  10. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

That’s ok the average IQ of both states will increase.

Lizzie, Pernoi, abc and 3 others like this.
  11. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Only if Fascism and Authoritarianism are measures of IQ :(

2FAST4U and MTR like this.
  12. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Fully agree. That segregation must stop. It won’t make us any good.

2FAST4U, Hamish84 and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Election in 2022, get rid of him.

Serveman, Toon, Citycat88 and 3 others like this.
  14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

People are forgetting about what would have happened if they let Covid rip. In my opinion in the next 3 months when Vic.. WA...and Qld are reopened as normal you will find that the noise generated by covidiots will disappear. These leaders will get relected and their economies will boom.

As for people who are not vaccinated...they might have to make a choice as employers will make it a condition of employment. No employer will carry the risk of an unvaccinated person.

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2021
    craigc, Lizzie, Pernoi and 11 others like this.
  15. chewmylegoff

chewmylegoff Well-Known Member

Not sure I get the idea of this thread? QLD doesn’t allow unvaccinated entrants from Covid hotspots so any unvaccinated person fleeing VIC to get away from Dan’s covid restrictions is just gonna be flying straight back to VIC…

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Nov, 2021
    Lizzie, VanillaSlice, Pernoi and 4 others like this.
  16. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Some replies to this post have expressed disappointment and concern as it relates to the notion of having to live under an authoritarian regime.

So I wasn't inferring that the unvaccinated are going to leave VIC and head to QLD in droves...but alternatively the vaccinated who have the means to leave and don't like the idea of authoritarianism...are now more likely to leave.

And the above should be positioned in the context of a state that has already suffered a significant exodus over the previous 18 months as well.

Hence my comment that Dan is highly intelligent in view of rebuilding the VIC economy.

"New legislation that gives Victorian Premier Dan Andrews the power to have the final say on COVID-19 public health orders – rather than the chief health officer – has been slammed as being “unprecedented” and the “most extreme of its kind”.

VIC legislation gives Premier sweeping COVID powers

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Nov, 2021
    El Patron likes this.
  17. chewmylegoff

chewmylegoff Well-Known Member

Where are they going to go? I haven’t bothered to look up the vaccinate mandate in other states but difficult to see how anyone could perceive QLD to be any different in its approach. Unvaxxed aren’t allowed in to the state from a hotspot (even if QLD residents), not allowed to do certain jobs, can’t go in anywhere that isn’t an essential service (eg pubs, restaurants…).

the only difference between QLD and VIC is that QLD has been lucky enough to avoid a major outbreak and therefore the QLD govt has not had to go as far as the VIC govt - as soon as there is kind of level of covid in the community in QLD it seems likely restrictions for unvaccinated people, if anything, will tighten further.

Lizzie, Pernoi, abc and 2 others like this.
  18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    QLD has had a lot less days in lockdowns but there doesn't seem to be much difference between VIC and QLD in terms of Covid policy. Given the vaccination rates across Australia we really shouldn't be having anymore lockdowns in any states throughout Australia.

upload_2021-11-14_14-5-38.png

Joynz likes this.
  19. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Ive come to the conclusion that dan andrews
    is evil. If victoria was all of aus, we'd be down there with a nz style leftist dictatorship. Whilst i think melb prices will grow as they will get disproportionate immigrants, qland will receive a large number of kiwis escaping communism and ludicrous property prices.

Codie and MTR like this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

They can come to Mt Druitt. Cheap house prices. It’s a part of Sydney metro area. Gladys is gone. Perrottet won’t last long. You won’t look out of place in a commodore. Beautiful.

Stoffo likes this.