Very High Site Works/Footings

Discussion in 'Development' started by Motivated, 18th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Motivated

Motivated New Member

Hello

I have been monitoring a number of redevelopments around my local area and seeing a concerning trend with the height of the fill for footings. They are being raised so high they are creating significant differences in the height between adjacent houses and leading to fencing and privacy issues.

I have attached a few pictures showing what I am talking about. I would have expected Council inspectors would be monitoring this sort of thing. What are the reasons for this? Is it cheaper than excavating an existing site? Is it due to soil types?

Surely any cost benefit of raising the footings so high would be outweighed by the additional costs to fencing and additional block fill?

block b.jpg block a2.jpg block a1.jpg

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ever seen a compaction test done on lots like this? I haven't

It keeps the build costs down by having flat blocks. Developers want cheap builds

3. Motivated

Motivated New Member

I understand that but the two related photos show they have built the site up more than a metre and the fencing cement spacers have been raised up by 6 per section. This is massive and now there is a difference in the backyard of over 1.5 metres difference. The height of the slab is higher than the existing rear fencing.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You'll probably find its 1.49 so that an engineer design isn't required ;)

I'd hate to be on low side

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia