Vermiculite - False ceiling

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by StockholmSyndrome, 11th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. StockholmSyndrome

StockholmSyndrome Member

Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience with installing a gyprock false ceiling over vermiculite.
    Looking to do this in my Sydney apartment, and was looking at what costs I'd potentially be up for.
    Approx 45sqm internally.
    Oh, if you have any tradie suggestions feel free to throw them my way !

Cheers

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't add a ceiling over the top. I'd remove it. It seems the loose fill vermiculite may contain asbestos, but I'm guessing you mean stuck on decorative squares and I'm unsure about this panels. Check it out first.

vermiculite asbestos

Our son had these square stuck on panels all over the ceiling of his first house. He removed them with a scraper, hoping to have a skim coat applied to smooth it all out, but the plaster was so damaged by the glue that he had the whole ceiling replaced for a couple of thousand. It cost no more than paying to plaster over the top, and likely that may cost more because your plasterer needs to glue it to some timber and I doubt a plasterer would agree to glue it over the existing stuck on vermiculite panels.

Had he known how badly the glue had stuck, he could have saved himself a day of scraping, but... live and learn.

Edit: Just realised you might not be meaning the squares of foamy feeling stuff, glued to ceilings. If you are talking about "popcorn" style sprayed or rolled on ceilings you see in many 1970s units, that likely will contain asbestos.

The panels our son had was like dense foam squares.

Asbestos Ceilings – Asbestos Testing

I'm confused about just what you have on your ceiling.

If it is the pointy sprayed on stuff, then perhaps you can ask a plasterer to do a skim coat over the top.

As I read your question again, I realise that I mis-read it the first time and it is not squares glued on at all.

Last edited: 11th May, 2020
  3. wylie

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

What I believe the OP is suggesting is to install a false ceiling. In the false ceiling you can install downlights.

I haven't done it, but a friend had in his unit. You lose some height.
    I think if you live in the place for long enough you start to ignore the vermiculite on the ceiling. My West Ryde unit had it too.

5. StockholmSyndrome

StockholmSyndrome Member

Hi Wylie,
    Yes I have the 'popcorn' style pointy vermiculite. Like this photo attached (google search).

Attached Files:

6. StockholmSyndrome

StockholmSyndrome Member

Hi Gockie,
    Yes from an aesthetic perspective, resell I am leaning towards false ceiling as other identical units in the block have installed (with downlights) and it has transformed the place entirely.

Sackie and wylie like this.
  7. wylie

I have now read the post a third time, and you are right @Gockie. Perhaps I need a lie down? :D:p

But I'll leave that information because it may help someone else.

The only thing I'd say is that if it is a unit (the same son has a 1970s unit with vermiculate ceiling), often there's not enough head height to allow for a false ceiling.

I'd see if it can be skim coated by a plasterer and if not, I'd live with it (unless there's good head height to allow the depth required to drop the ceiling).

datto likes this.
  8. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Hi Stock

We installed a 70sqm of Gyprock ceiling over a vermiculite ceiling in our Meadowbank unit, but we only used a 22mm batten which is not enough for a downlight, we just replaced the lights with new oyster lights.

We also had floor to ceiling sliding door onto the balcony which we created a box section in front of and hide the curtain rail inside to create a nice end finish and allowed the door to still operate and come out if rollers need replacing.

Made a huge difference and the head height change was minimal.

Some people spray them need to spray lots of binder like bondcrete and then it will still take 3 coats of white to make a difference.

P.s Our Strata manager would not let us scrap it off as its sound proofing and fire rating, so we submitted photos of the roof with the batten and the partially sheeted, so there was proof it was still there for any fire inspections.

so it took a while to get the battens flat and level, nothing a washer or packer didn't fix

Last edited: 11th May, 2020
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep, the vermiculite soaks up paint. We painted it white, and it needs so much paint to cover it, it's crazy. Ps. My friend's unit is in Top Ryde. All local, you Meadowbank, me West Ryde, he Top Ryde. I guess that's when this area had a unit building boom.
    :)

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

As you're putting in a dropped ceiling, to need to ensure that the floor to ceiling height is a minimum of 2400mm.

Check out the range of LED downlights, some may have flatter transformers and fittings. You will only have 25mm battens & 10mm plasterboard so not much to play with. We stayed with oyster fittings on the ceilings.

11. Something_Wrong

[​IMG]

This was the finished result, I even hide the AC pipes and water drain pipe from the A/C unit behind the cornice, had to install a small pump to pump the water up and out to the balcony.

Heinz57 and StockholmSyndrome like this.
  12. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

A post from 2013 on Somersoft

Need to find good priced gyprockers.

Here is a clip that's also in the somersoft post showing the process. Just be aware you don't end up with a finished ceiling height less than 2400mm. Also in the clip they had pretty straight ceilings with our ceiling we had to adjust them significantly to straighten them.

Tom Rivera and StockholmSyndrome like this.
  13. csky

csky New Member

Thx for this info - end result looks great. I'm considering covering with a false ceiling (just down the road in Ryde). Strata manager has told me I need a by law passed. How did you go about this? TIA

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would be very reluctant to skim over this type of ceiling if it contains asbestos - it’s putting future owners and tradies at risk.

I would first have it tested and if asbestos-free, go wild.

A false ceiling appears to avoid this issue somewhat.

However, any false ceiling will involve screwing through the coating into the structure (concrete or wood) and this will create dust. If that dust contains asbestos it is a risk to any occupants.

Any tradies who don’t ask for a test are probably cowboys - don’t trust them.

Of course, if the place was built after asbestos was banned then it’ll be fine. If in doubt, get it tested!

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Consider existing ceiling height which will reduce when battens etc are added. Cliplock system perhaps. You dont want it to later fail the minimum room height. Can be nailed or ramset fastened. The gyprock will be screw-gunned to the batten system.

16. keenas

keenas Well-Known Member

Drop ceiling is the go. Using a rondo type furring channel you can drop it just enough to fit downlights. 100mm or so lower will be fine. All tradies are flat put so prices will vary, suggest getting at least 2 quotes.

17. Something_Wrong

No Bylaw, as we were not altering the structure, we just went to the strata meeting explained what we were doing and that we notice two others had completed the same work.

Then followed it up with a vote the next meeting and it was passed.