Verifying Builder Lic, Atsic & insurance.....

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 1st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Curious more than anything,

When one looks to do their Due diligence with builders licence, asic checks etc - obtaining that information is no problem.

I find it surprising that the MBA will not discuss verification of a builders Capital works & Public Liability insurance. I trust my builder and have received a copy of the policy, but I would of thought the industry would have had in place the ability for customers to verify this without being shut down with the privacy excuse.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fair Trading has a builder's licence check.

Verification of insurances is through the builder directly - why would you think that employer organisations would hols copies of their members' insurances? Just like asking the CFMEU for a copy of wages slips of their members.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  3. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

I might be on the wrong track, but just thinking its another checks and balances, I guess just in the unlikely event that insurance was required to be called upon, and finding after the fact that the insurance/public liability was'nt valid....

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That is why your building contract specifies that the builder effect certain insurances, to keep them for the duration of the contract and the Principal is entitled to request copies. If you have a copy of the insurance certificate of currency, you can then call the underwriter to confirm it is still valid.